The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Barrett Jackson (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146721)

Terry24 01-20-2018 02:38 PM

Barrett Jackson

Anyone watching this? CRAZY prices for cars yesterday, a whole lot for over $100k. What gives? Thoughts?

EZ Nova 01-20-2018 03:25 PM

It's "THE SHOW". Can't look to Bj any more for the "health" of the collectors car market.

Good example is Ray Allen LS-6 rag top. Bj price was over 1 million in 2006. Same car went to Mecum in 2015 with a value between 5-600,000? I think it's more the cars being "bid-up" for the Tv show more than anything from what I heard.

I PVR'd it and will watch after the shows over.

the427king 01-20-2018 04:49 PM

t's "THE SHOW". Can't look to Bj any more for the "health" of the collectors car market.

When auction prices are lower than expected everyone says its because the market is soft. When auction prices are higher than expected, no one says the market is recovering. I believe BJ gets the prices because there is alot of competition bidder wise out there and it takes more than one person to want your car in order to drive prices high.

EZ Nova 01-20-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the427king (Post 1384922)
When auction prices are lower than expected everyone says its because the market is soft. When auction prices are higher than expected, no one says the market is recovering. I believe BJ gets the prices because there is alot of competition bidder wise out there and it takes more than one person to want your car in order to drive prices high.

BJ has always had GUYS that would bid cars up. Ron Pratt, the Itialian guy, hell even that one guy who jumped in the experimental car as it rolled up and said it's going to be mine. He spent like 4 million on that for the museum or something like that.

BUT like Pratt, I see a lot of the guys getting out. Always here of collection coming to be sold off. Add that to the fact that the younger generation just doesn't have the drive for these classics either, make for a bleak future of this hobby. Sorta like the early '70's when guys like Reggie was buying up the "gas guzzlers" that are now collectable muscle cars.

I hear it all the time for guys mid 30's and down. The new stuff, will out run the old, has EFI AC and overdrive, and you can drive from Alaska to Florida. My one friend, 29 yrs old. Has a C6 'Vette with a 6 sp. Cars runs 141MPH in the 1/4 @ 9.80's all motor stock bottom end. BUT his stock motor, turbos and trans Nissan Skyline is quicker in the 1/4 but lower MPH. The someone shows up with a '60 or '70's muscle car that can run low 10's. Rumbles in, gassy carb and he looks at me and says "and you like that, but there slow"........

BJCHEV396 01-20-2018 09:10 PM

Ron Pratt Itialian guy!?

the427king 01-20-2018 09:31 PM

440k for a 62 vette.....i dont think the market needs the young guys!

Jeff H 01-20-2018 09:33 PM

It could be a lot of people made good money in the stock market this past year and have now decided to move it somewhere else, like collector cars.

BJCHEV396 01-20-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff H (Post 1384971)
It could be a lot of people made good money in the stock market this past year and have now decided to move it somewhere else, like collector cars.

Stupid money strikes again.

scuncio 01-20-2018 10:17 PM

Prices seem pretty consistently high to me, based only on watching it for about an hour earlier today.

olredalert 01-20-2018 10:33 PM

----To me, it seems like original bone stock restored and unrestored cars may have had their day. Restomods may be taking over. Charlie, savant that he is, has been leaning that way for quite awhile anyway. I defininetly feel like a dinosaur anymore, but am to damn old to change at this point! Good thing I like what I have as I may have them for a long time......Bill S