The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Engine Build: opinions....input....MCACN....boobs (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=145818)

A12pilot 12-04-2017 12:54 PM

Engine Build: opinions....input....MCACN....boobs

We all know how sex sells, so I threw that in there to get the masses attention! And for you ladies who saw that and thought "I'm gonna give that guy a piece of my mind! " you're obviously a car girl since you're on this site, so I need your opinion too!:biggthumpup:

Scenario: 1968 S-Code 4spd GT Fastback, Highland Green, Saddle interior, lots of cool options, 1 of 159 according to the Marti Report. Numbers matching engine, original trans and rear. Two engine blocks are included with the car. The original numbers matching one with two hefty cracks in two cylinders, and another 390 from a later dated GT. The original engine was sleeved and repaired and is good to go. Other block checks out too. All bolt on parts except the intake, are correct for the original block.

Dilema: Want to build the motor for some power, but nothing crazy. I'd like to use Blue Thunder heads and intake and add a stroker kit. The goal is about 450hp. Easily done. Everything will appear stock. So building the motor like this, would you use the numbers block or the spare 390? You all know me....I sell everything anyway, so I'm trying to think what would be the best way to do the engine build?

So vote! Tell me your thoughts! Do everything numbers matching, or do the spare motor with no fear of tanking it at the track? :3gears: But then again..... am I really ever going to drive it before I sell it anyway?:hmmm:

There... that should make for a good Monday morning chat. Talk amongst yourselves...... and me! :laugh:

Cheers
Dave

Ryan1969Chevelle 12-04-2017 01:15 PM

My suggestion: (and what I did with my car that I will keep forever)

I would build the extra engine and save the original. (Especially as repairs are completed and it now checks out all good)

I still have a feeling you have an army of elves working in the toy shop.

Ryan

markinnaples 12-04-2017 01:23 PM

I'm with Ryan. Store the numbers matching engine, build and abuse the other one. Sell both when the time comes (which I imagine won't be that far in the future from what I've seen :) ).

NorCam 12-04-2017 01:24 PM

Build the original block cause in the end you won't be keeping it. Next caretaker can leave it in, or pull it out to set it aside.

mockingbird812 12-04-2017 01:39 PM

build the back up block and have a blast. Even after all of yr fancy talk about boobs (and why we don't see them when we click here), we're gonna need to see sum! ;>)) (of course suitable for the sensitive eyes that frequent our site - you know who you are.............right Eddie?!)

Tracker1 12-04-2017 02:00 PM

Build the original numbers block, you're gonna sell the car - you know you are. So get as much $$$ out of it as possible.

earntaz 12-04-2017 02:31 PM

Push the original complete engine under the bench -- build another using an alternate block ... just my .02 worth ... TAZ

SuperNovaSS 12-04-2017 02:55 PM

If you plan to build another FE powered car in the future than I would build both. Install the hot engine and enjoy the car, then swap it out for the original totally stock mill before you sell it. That way you have a built FE for the next project.

Jason

Mr70 12-04-2017 02:58 PM

How long you plan on keeping the car is the point.
If you're keeping it for 5 + years,build & install the spare block,and store the original.
If you're keeping it for less then 5 years,build & install the original block to get the most @ resale.

Canuck 12-04-2017 03:20 PM

Neither,Go LS.��