The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Baldwin-Motion Performance (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   71 Baldwin Motion Camaro (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134613)

Tim_B 10-22-2015 04:02 PM

71 Baldwin Motion Camaro

Howdy. New member to this board, but not new to the hobby. I've been collecting Pontiacs for 30 years. Back when I was in high school, I was driving a 70 SS/RS Camaro that I bought out of the classifieds for $400. Those were the days!

I purchased this BM car earlier this year and want to see what you all may know about its history. It came with quite a bit of paperwork as well as magazines from back in the day. Anyway, I don't really know much about these BM cars and would like to learn as much as I can.

Cheers,
Tim

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...3-dsc03812.jpg
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...4-dsc03819.jpg

John 10-22-2015 04:20 PM

Re: 71 Baldwin Motion Camaro

... Is this the same car [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

... With different wheels and tires [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

1971 BM Camaro thread

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Tim_B 10-22-2015 05:10 PM

John, Yes, this is the same car. I tried searching for past threads, but came up short. I purchased this car from RK.

Tim

Tim_B 10-22-2015 05:12 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
... With different wheels and tires [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
</div></div>

Looks like in the thread you posted, the wheels were changed out in 2014 to the Ansen slots that are on it now. It definitely looks better this way!

SS427 10-22-2015 07:53 PM

Looks 1000 times better with this wheel and tire combo. Welcome to the site. I got to see this car in person at the previous owner's house in Idaho a couple of years ago and it looked great!

Tim_B 10-22-2015 09:50 PM

I'd love to here anyone's stories about this car as I learn more about its history.

Cheers...

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 10-23-2015 05:37 PM

Is this the dentist's car from PA?

Love the wheels &amp; tires BTW! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

COPO 10-24-2015 12:28 AM

I owned this car around 2001-2002? Don't recall exactly the time frame. Sold it when I bought my 69 BM Camaro. Loved the car, but back then couldn't keep both of them. Yes, it was a PA dentist who was the original owner and it came with the Ansen slots from Baldwin, but later wore Crager SS and then Ralley wheels. The Ansens are a huge improvement. Great car and good to hear it has found a new home.

Tim_B 10-24-2015 04:19 PM

Thanks for the post COPO. If you have any photos or documentation from when you had it, would you mind sharing them with me?

The car has been well cared for. The interior looks to be all original and in excellent condition. The engine compartment was cleaned up by a previous owner and the original Motion Performance sticker is still on the inner fender well.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...6-dsc03816.jpg
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...7-img_1805.jpg

al8apex 10-24-2015 05:30 PM

it appears it WAS a Z28 when born (rear bumper guards and floor hinged gas pedal)

Curious on why they didn't start with a SS396 to do the conversion

Tim_B 10-25-2015 06:05 PM

Z28 car seems likely. There are small remnants of the front spoiler bolted to the lower front valance.

whitetop 10-25-2015 07:25 PM

Tim, 2-3 pics of the car are in Hot Rod -article in the late 1970's..article was about a high performance used car lot-it wore Cragars back then.

The only change I would do is lose the late 70's Sun Tach and put in a more accurate early 70's version.

Ansens improve the look 100% No Motion car should have stock wheels IMO.

Dave Rifkin 10-25-2015 10:32 PM

I think I saw that article; the car lot was called Car Village and it was in PA. I stopped by there one time on my way to Carlisle. As I recall they had a grabber blue and black 1970 Boss 302 for sale and a 1969 TA that was missing the rear bumper when I was there. The salesman said they had the bumper for the car.

Wound up test driving a 1970 Barracuda that someone had installed a 440 6bbl and a 4 speed in; that car was fast. I was hoping they'd still have something like that Motion car on the lot but, no such luck.

I do recall seeing your car driving down Pacific Avenue in Atlantic City sometime in the mid to late '80's. I was a valet parker at the Tropicana and stopped in my tracks when I saw that car drive by.

COPO 10-25-2015 11:46 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Z28 car seems likely. There are small remnants of the front spoiler bolted to the lower front valance.
</div></div>

It was a Z-28 from the factory. Trim tag is coded for a Z-28. It has been in at least 3 or 4 magazines and calendars and is a very well known car. I recall most of the paint is original as well, but under the hood had been fluffed a bit.

PxTx 10-26-2015 12:43 AM

I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car!

Tim_B 10-26-2015 10:01 PM

Great information, guys. Thanks for sharing!

Another question:

When these cars were delivered new to Baldwin Chevy as Z28's, I assume they came with the Z28 stripes. How did Motion Performance go about painting the Motion stripes on the car as well as painting the fiberglass hood to match? I wonder if they would have tried to blend the paint or if they would have masked and resprayed the whole car so it would match. I've heard that they worked with a paint shop near by, but wondering if anyone knows how they actually went about this.

Born30YrsLate 10-27-2015 04:38 AM

Gary &quot;The Local Brush&quot; Kupfer did a lot of paint work for Motion...still around... Gary The Local Brush

whitetop 10-27-2015 07:24 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car! </div></div>
Sun Super Tach II came out around 1976 or so.

Tim_B 10-27-2015 10:14 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car! </div></div>
Sun Super Tach II came out around 1976 or so. </div></div>

Any thoughts or opinions as to what would be accurate here?

whitetop 10-27-2015 11:14 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car! </div></div>
Sun Super Tach II came out around 1976 or so. </div></div>

Any thoughts or opinions as to what would be accurate here? </div></div>
Sun Super Tach II was added in the mid to late 70's by subsequent owner. SST from early 70's would be more accurate. What tach does the paperwork say?

COPO 10-28-2015 05:25 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What tach does the paperwork say? </div></div>

I have been fortunate to personally own 5 different BM cars over the years (including this particular car at one time) plus have seen paperwork for some others and I don't recall any paperwork calling out any particular parts to that level of detail.

For instance the invoice might say &quot;Phase III Ignition&quot; or &quot;headers&quot; which would not call out any particular components, part numbers, or brand names. In addition, Motion typically took off the shelf speed parts and rebranded them such as Mallory ignition components, cure ride shocks, Lakewood traction bars, and others calling them by another name and in some cases putting a new decal on them, so unless the car is an untouched original with vintage photos, the best you can do is use correct speed parts from the era that would have been typical of a BM build.

JoeC 10-28-2015 01:59 PM

I am curious if the car has a 10 bolt rear or a 12 bolt and what gear ratio does it have?

I believe you can only get a 10 bolt in 1971 Camaros

looking at the 1971 Camaro specs the SS396 highest gear was 3:42 but the Z/28 still had 3:73 and 4:10 listed all were 10 bolts

Tim_B 10-28-2015 04:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious if the car has a 10 bolt rear or a 12 bolt and what gear ratio does it have?

I believe you can only get a 10 bolt in 1971 Camaros

looking at the 1971 Camaro specs the SS396 highest gear was 3:42 but the Z/28 still had 3:73 and 4:10 listed all were 10 bolts

</div></div>

Joe, this car has a 10 bolt rear end. I don't know what the ratio is, but I'll check when I pull the diff cover to change the gear oil. It's possible that Joel's crew may have changed the gears when they did the conversion.

Tim_B 10-28-2015 04:15 PM

Joe, as I hit send on my last comment, I remembered that there were some details about the options in a letter from the original owner (the Dentist). He says Motion installed 4:10 rear gears in the car.

I do have quite a bit of paperwork that came with this car, but haven't gone through and tried to organize it all yet.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim_B 11-08-2016 12:07 AM

I'm excited to be bringing this car to MCACN in 2 weeks. I hope to meet some of you at the show.

*** Also, I am VERY interested in learning any details about the car than anyone, especially previous owners may be able to share. I'm also trying to fill in some gaps in the ownership history. I have a good bit of information, but could sure use ownership dates and copies of titles, if available. I will have all of my documentation at the show, including letters of authenticity from Joel Rosen.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...5-dsc_0738.jpg

COPO 11-08-2016 12:32 AM

Great Car.

Craig_Maiorana 11-08-2016 03:26 PM

Perfect in every way... I am partial to the forest green car with side pipes but everything about this is on point

markinnaples 11-10-2016 04:02 PM

Day 2 Perfection. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

4270 11-16-2016 10:58 AM

Hello Mark I see everyone is still interested in our cars Joseph Mason

GrumpyJeff 01-10-2017 11:15 PM

I have a friend from Lititz/ Manheim PA that owned this car for a few years in the very early 80's. He's the one that actually bought the car From Car Village after seeing the Article in Hot Rod Magazine. He Had Turquoise 70 LS6 Chevelle that he traded in on it .He was probably only about 18 at the time, So needless to say he got in a lot a trouble with the car and ended up loosing his drivers license. After that he ended up with a High Dollar custom Dodge Van.I kinda remember hearing that he traded the Camaro back in on the van probably 1982 or so ? but im not sure ? he told me a couple years ago that being the car was in his fathers name,that he would still get phone calls once in a while. when the car would be up for sale or people were trying to document prior ownership. when he had the car he put Cragar SST's on it, And I believe he's the one that put the Sun tach in it ?

GrumpyJeff 01-15-2017 07:03 PM

Ive been telling my son and other people about this car for years. Having a teenaged friend that owned this car in 1980/82 ? and doing things in it Teenage kids do! needless to say nobody seems to believe me Haha ! very Cool to have some pics to show him. Seems the only thing that's been changed is the wheels.

whitetop 01-17-2017 03:05 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car! </div></div>

The tach in the BM Camaro is later 1970's style. Car needs a period correct Sun tach.