The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Garages/shops.. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Finding a Building a 60x40 Single Slope Steel Building (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146402)

SuperNovaSS 01-03-2018 11:58 PM

Finding and Building a 60x40 Single Slope Steel Building

I have been wanting to build a single slope roof 60x40 steel building for a long time and have finally been able to get the funding together to make it happen. I started the process about a year ago and got a few quotes from contractors. The building prices they gave me seemed reasonable but the assembly cost seemed quite high. I am hoping to be able to hire out the grading, drainage, concrete, etc. and assemble the building myself with help from friends. I also have a contractor friend I could hire but he does not have much experience with steel buildings.

Being near the ocean, I have what is called the coastal commission to deal with. It is an extra permitting process that has to be gone through before the real permitting process can even start. I came here hoping to get some advice on steel building companies that sell a quality product, have good service, and are competitively priced. The coastal commission requires building plans and site plan submitted for review before the actual permitting process even starts. That said, I would like to find a company who can design the building, give me a price, and send me plans before I actually order the building. That way, if the coastal commission shoots me down, I don't have a building here I can't do anything with.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Jason

CamarosRus 01-04-2018 01:15 AM

You should take this to www.garagejournal.com for many more responses.............

SuperNovaSS 01-04-2018 02:16 AM

Thank you Chuck. I did make a post there earlier today but thought I might as well post here also since there is a section for it.

Jason

Copo_Cartel 01-04-2018 12:03 PM

Like any contractor / customer relationship ...their must be a commitment from both sides.....to design a building ...give you plans takes time and money...but you are asking the contractor / building company to do all this for FREE :hmmm:....The contractor can give you a cost per square foot that will be within 5 - 7% of his quote. Your issue with the coastal commission has no bearing on the contractor / building company...so asking others that make a living doing this to do it for free is ludicrous. I am a contractor and getting used by potential customers is very upsetting to me. So if you’re asking someone to do something you should expect to pay them for their services .

NorCam 01-04-2018 01:49 PM

Most of the major steel building companies (manufacturers) that already have a 40x60 foot print should have the drawings already available for the base building and many will supply you with the drawings needed for zoning and compliance. I did a bunch of research on this a few years ago and there are many out there Jason, just don't have experience working with any so I can't tell you who's decent to deal with.

SuperNovaSS 01-04-2018 03:46 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hugger_69_COPO,

I am not trying to get anything for free other than a quote. Right now, I am just trying to find a building company that has good reviews. There are a lot of them out there and reading the garage journal there have been a lot of bad experiences. If I decide to hire a contractor than of course I plan to pay them for all their work. I do not want to waste anyone's time, that is why I'm trying to do my homework beforehand.

NorCam,

Yes, most of the companies have plans ready to go for most building styles that they can tweak quickly for the planning process. I just want to be sure the place I choose is on the up and up. The cost of the building is fairly pale in comparison to the rest of the work so I want to be sure I'm getting a good product.

Thanks again,

Jason

The Boss 01-05-2018 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugger 69 copo (Post 1382392)
Like any contractor / customer relationship ...their must be a commitment from both sides.....to design a building ...give you plans takes time and money...but you are asking the contractor / building company to do all this for FREE :hmmm:....The contractor can give you a cost per square foot that will be within 5 - 7% of his quote. Your issue with the coastal commission has no bearing on the contractor / building company...so asking others that make a living doing this to do it for free is ludicrous. I am a contractor and getting used by potential customers is very upsetting to me. So if you’re asking someone to do something you should expect to pay them for their services .

Contractor here too & agree 100%.

Something to consider, unless there are other steel buildings already in your area you may find the commission more accepting of your project if the materials are changed to blend in more with other structures in the neighborhood.

SuperNovaSS 01-05-2018 03:35 PM

Thanks again for the replies. Again, I am not trying to get anything for free from a contractor. I am just trying to get quotes from steel building manufacturers at the moment. I was hoping to hear some experiences others have had wit these companies so I know which ones to inquire with and which to avoid.

Thanks,

Jason

luzl78 01-05-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boss (Post 1382532)
Contractor here too & agree 100%.

Something to consider, unless there are other steel buildings already in your area you may find the commission more accepting of your project if the materials are changed to blend in more with other structures in the neighborhood.

brucie. Love those buildings and especially the pup.

Salvatore 01-06-2018 01:39 PM

Many of the prefab garage/barn dealers have what you need. You can also ask if they have any used ones for sale. My neighbor bought a used metal barn from a dealer for alot less because it was 2 years old and used for storage by Tastykake Company.

The barn/garage company disassembled and reassembled on his property on a concrete slab he provided. I would say his metal barn is about 40x60+ and looks really good. If he did not tell me it was used I would have never known.
Check around. There are always good deals somewhere.