The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   firestorms in so. calif (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74852)

musclcar 10-26-2003 08:34 PM

firestorms in so. calif

i can not believe the severity of these fires that keep popping up all over southern calif.i've got friends that live up in glendora area and there being ravaged by these wild fires.i think right now there is 8 major wild fires burning out of control right this minute with no end in sight.these santa ana's are really not helping at all.the smoke /ash is so bad that were i live 40 miles from the nearest fire ,the fallout is tremendous.there is ash about an 1/8" thick around my house and on the street.the sky is totally strange a dark yellow /orange color with the appearance of late evening.it's very hard to breathe ,all you smell is a very strong charred odor [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

scuncio 10-27-2003 07:26 PM

Re: firestorms in so. calif

Scary stuff for sure. My Camaro is in storage in Claremont...gettin' ready to get it the hell out of there if we don't get some good news on the Gran Prix fire or whatever it's called....
Even here in SB the air is pretty awful and I can hardly see the mountains (and it ain't smog).

DjD 10-27-2003 08:06 PM

Here's a satellite view...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com.../mdf393542.jpg

musclcar 10-27-2003 11:38 PM

well the simi valley fire has finally entered into LA county from ventura county in chatsworth within the last few minutes.it seems this fire has become really unpredictable even with the fading santa ana winds.i'm worried about my best friend who lives in the mountains near julian down in the east county of san diego.i used to live there for almost 15 years in the beautiful back county of san diego and know all about the fire dangers there.this years fires are just unbelievable.i remember the mountain to ocean fire in san diego many years ago were it started up near julian and burned almost to within 5 miles of the pacific ocean

musclcar 10-28-2003 11:10 PM

scuncio have you been watching the news especially the intense battle on top of the mountain near big bear.the cdf crews are facing a very tough battle in which they're losing quickly.i was shocked when i was watching the news conference with cdf officials.there was a question stating " could this fire run unabstructed through the mountain communities back down the mountain and across the desert floor to victorville " they answered yes,that was a very dificult phrase to comprehend.i also could not believe the footage showing fire tornadoes and trees exploding.they said the total acreage burned right now is about the size of the state of rhode island

olredalert 10-29-2003 03:06 PM

------Have been praying for everyone,including many friends in Cal. since these fires started.The mention of Big Bear has brought this to me though as I have a very good friend in Big Bear that is just finishing up an absolutely gorgeous home overlooking the whole LA basin.Built it himself.Charlie Bacon,I hope and pray you are OK.........Bill S

COPOL89 10-29-2003 03:41 PM

My prayers and thoughts are also with the people in that area, I didn't realize the size of the fires until they said that an area the size of Rhode Island had been engulfed, I live in RI and was awstruck when i heard that. there is an magnetic sunburst that might hamper the communication satelites for the fire fighters this afternoon (WED.)we can only hope its a short setback.

LVCamaro 10-29-2003 03:53 PM

It's an awful disaster. We're 240 miles to the east of the LA Basin, and the smoke/haze is so thick here that visibility is extremely limited. God's speed in getting these fires under control.

SS

scuncio 10-29-2003 05:57 PM

Yes I've been watching the news every night. I talked to my aunt yesterday (who lives in Claremont) and she says the level of damage in the area is downright depressing. Lots of $1million+ dollar homes on the hill completely burnt. She personally knows five families who are now homeless as of last Sunday. It's unbelievable. I went to college in Claremont so it will be a shock seeing the damage in person. Going down there Saturday to help her clean up her pool, she says it's turned into a giant ash tray from all the crap that's blowing around.

musclcar 10-29-2003 11:11 PM

it's really not looking good in all the small towns up in big bear.the newest areas hit are cedar ridge park and lake arrowhead.the weather service has put a high wind warning 25-45mph /gusts to 50mph until thurs. night.i've got a cabin up in arrowhead and not sure if it made it or not.the fire has actually dropped down onto the desert floor and is heading towards hesperia and victorville.i just got confirmation from a friend of mine in san diego that his 180 acre ranch in descanso was lost and his fathers cabin in julian is under the threat of fires from the east and west of that town