The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Pit Area - Racing (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Super Stock SS/C SS/D vintage racer (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71834)

Yellow 69 z28 11-27-2002 12:53 AM

Super Stock SS/C SS/D vintage racer

1 Attachment(s)
I recently bought this racer (See Attachment) from a gentilemen in Nebraska who drove the car in 1969 through 1974 for a Nebraska Chevy Dealer. This Dealer was Mac's Chevrolet / Pontiac in Crete and Al MacNamara. The car was bought new off the show-room floor in 1969 just in time to go NHRA racing. He campaigned it with great success. He raced with a 4 speed and a turbo 400. He also made a clutch driven turbo 400 and raced that configuration also. He then sold the car after 1974 season to the next owner. This owner raced the car on and off, but mostly drove it on the street, he worked for H & H Chevy. He grenaded the engine in a flywheel incident that pushed up off the crank and sliced threw the block. The 4 speed bell housing was blow-proof and feet were saved. A iron short block L-88 was installed next. Some time in the '80's the original owner bought the car back stipped off all the stickers and cared for the paint. This paint cost around $1500.00 in 1969. He also removed the L-88 and installed a LS-6 short block with the orginal iron 840 heads and aluminum intake and one of the orginal B&M turbo 400 with a brake.

The history is deep with this racer and I plan on preserving the best I can.

By the way this car came with lot of engines, engine parts, transmissions, heads, carbs and other vintage go fast parts.

Rich

SS427 11-27-2002 02:49 AM

Re: Super Stock SS/C SS/D vintage racer

Rich, welcome to the site and a very neat day two car to say the least. Leave it as it is. That brought back memories. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Rat_Pack 11-27-2002 05:09 AM

Rich, like <font color="red">SS427 </font color> says, that brings back some good memories. Leave the car the way it is as those "Day 2" cars are what a lot of people like to see. <font color="blue">Whitetop </font color> if you are out there this car is almost as wild as the "Stang" you have. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] ..........RatPack...........................

JChlupsa 11-27-2002 05:18 AM

Thats a neat car. Leave it as is and you will get more people looking at it and asking questions. Yes it does bring back days of old

Yellow 69 z28 11-27-2002 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, you all are right and I thank you for all the comments and hospitality.

On the trip back from picking the car up, we had my son with us and of course we had to stop at every rest stop on the road. We actually turned the reactions of others into a road side game, with all of the thumbs-up, comments and touches to the car. Believe me there were a lot of touches to the paint, wild.

I am still doing a lot of research on the car, everyone so far that owned this camaro has a history with it. There is talk that this car was a COPO and some say it was a 396/375 and one even said aluminum block. All I know right now that it was a big block car with a four speed. I know it was not a ZL-1 car but it may of been a transplant. I am waiting to hear back from someone who knows.

Somewhere near an old defunct race track, (Huskers?), there is a resturant that has a wall of fame with a picture(s) of this car in 1970 wearing all out race garb.

Now I noticed if you look at the car under flouresent lights you can see where all of the original stickers were, and it you listen real harder you can hear the tires bark from the 3 - 4 shift as it launched down the track.

Rich

Mr70 11-27-2002 01:41 PM

Rich
Was this Camaro Featured in one of the CarCraft/HotRod mags back in the late 70's early 80's?
I was at a swap not to long ago,and could swear I saw this in one of those.I just don't remember the issue???

JoeC 11-27-2002 03:43 PM

Welcome to the site. It's a cool looking paint job
What is the build date on the trim tag? Some of the racers like Bill Jenkins who bought early cars got 375hp cars then converted them to ZL1 or L72.

Yellow 69 z28 11-27-2002 07:23 PM

Mr70

I don't know the answer to that, I have to ask more questions. I want to give the guys I have been talking to break for the holiday. I do know it was campaigned in So. Cal for a while with NHRA. I sent you an email if you could keep me posted.

JoeC
The build date is 02D;

Cowl tag:

12347 NOR 266515
711 57 57
02D X66

Current engine is a 1970 LS-6 450 hp
T0127CRV with a partial vin of a Chevelle

Trans is an automatic TH400 with a brake, original clutch pedal is still hanging and wired up. original carpet and floor is cut out in the spot for a four speed.

It has a 6K/7K tach with a 120 MPH speedo, bb heater core and cover.

I was told that the 840 heads and 163 intake are original and are date casted on heads #1 K118 and #2 K208 and the intake was 1.2.69. The carb is a 850 Holley non-original.

The radiator is a 4 row curved neck, has weld plate on drivers rear frame rail, what is left of a single line fuel line, front power disk brakes with rear pressure valve under booster, BE0214G2 E with welded spring perches.

The rear tail panel has to the left of the bow-tie two tiny holes drilled with inserts for a metal dealer emblem (yenko?)

I have the L-88 short block, a set of aluminum heads plus the clutch driven t-400.

Rich

Yellow 69 z28 12-17-2002 11:56 PM

New Pics just arrived. The first was taken in 1969 in texas and is showing the Mac's logo. While the second was taken in 1970 with the Shaker logo.

I am still trying to locate and contact the original painter who was Dell Star, from I believe Star Auto Body, Mason City, Iowa.

If any one has any info please PM me.

Thanks
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/yellow69z28/mac_chev.jpg http://mywebpages.comcast.net/yellow69z28/rd_shaker.jpg

copo69 12-18-2002 12:14 AM

That's a really neat car.... I think this is really what they were meant to be. I notice there's a bowtie in a black grille and an X66 car. Possibly a copo car? I know some Yenkos were X66. Were their grilles black like the SS or silver like the copo's?