The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   69 Z28 Coil springs (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177949)

Steve Shauger 02-01-2024 01:59 AM

69 Z28 Coil springs

I want to replace the coil springs in my orange/white stripe Z I recently picked up, because it sits too high. I installed Moog 6308 in my other orange Z and for me it sits perfect. The rub is they are discontinued. From my research D&R sells pn k00091-z which is designed for a 69 Z28 and looks to match the original specs. Also available from Classic Industries are Elgin pn CS6308 which also closely matches the Moog original specs. My question is has anyone installed either and do you like the height? also if you have pics that would be great. Any other spring suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks...

1967Z28 02-01-2024 10:22 PM

Steve, why don't you just trim the coils you have until you get the ride height you want?

cruiserofland 02-02-2024 05:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Steve, I worked with Kevin at Coil Spring Specialties last year on a custom set of front coil springs. I first ordered in the spec recommended by Wayne D Guinn which brought my front fenders down to about 25 3/8”, measured from the center of the fender trim. I wanted lower to sit level with the rears so I ordered a second adjusted set that got me to 24 3/8”. I bet you can ask Kevin for the spec that Matt from California ordered last year. Or if you want 25 3/8” I’ve still got those in a box. Here are a few photos of ride height on 215/65 BFGs. DM me if you need any more details.

Thank you to Motorhead848 for refinishing and installing them :beers:

Steve Shauger 02-02-2024 04:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiserofland (Post 1643270)
Steve, I worked with Kevin at Coil Spring Specialties last year on a custom set of front coil springs. I first ordered in the spec recommended by Wayne D Guinn which brought my front fenders down to about 25 3/8”, measured from the center of the fender trim. I wanted lower to sit level with the rears so I ordered a second adjusted set that got me to 24 3/8”. I bet you can ask Kevin for the spec that Matt from California ordered last year. Or if you want 25 3/8” I’ve still got those in a box. Here are a few photos of ride height on 215/65 BFGs. DM me if you need any more details.

Thank you to Motorhead848 for refinishing and installing them :beers:

The car stance is perfect! I used them in the mid 90's on a 69 Pacecar big block auto with A/C. I tried 3 sets from Eaton springs with horrible results. I then contacted Coil Spring Specialties and first set were perfect.

I was contacted from a member and just purchased a set of unused 6308.. BTW our cars are twins!!

I have 215/65/15 front and 235/60/15 rear. They have almost identical diameters...

Thanks for reaching out!

Jonesy 02-02-2024 06:57 PM

Really good info here. Thanks

Motorhead848 02-02-2024 10:11 PM

matt,

has the car settled at all since we did the second set?

-mark

enio45 02-03-2024 02:05 AM

what is the recommended ride height - using stock spring and stock bias tires?

cruiserofland 02-03-2024 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorhead848 (Post 1643308)
matt,

has the car settled at all since we did the second set?

-mark

Mark, so far I’d say it’s within 1/8” of the day you installed them, though I’ve (sadly) put maybe less than 100 miles on the car since the install. I’m expecting a bit more settling than that so we’ll see after I replace the dead fuel pump.

Eddie, here’s the page in the AIM about ride height. I’ll have to measure from those locations and compare, but certainly the look I prefer is level and with the tires slightly tucked into the fenders. I like to think GM Styling would agree :cool2:

I should also say that my springs from Coil Spring Specialties are 507 lbs/in, which is stiffer than stock. The front feels very planted in cornering without a compromise in ride quality :beers: