The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Older Paint Formulas (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146739)

70-SS/RS-L78 01-21-2018 07:51 PM

Older Paint Formulas

I am looking for a someone who is doing the older basecoat paint formulas that are accurate and match the original factory paint. I have tried PPG and Sikkens and we used both of their cameras to match a 1970 GM Code 53 Gold and 69 Cortez Silver. The formulas they came up with were not even close when I did sprayouts. I understand I am doing full paint on the cars but I still want the correct color in all lights, Not just the sun or shop lighting. Any information will greatly appreciated. Thanks....
Mark

bluel78 01-21-2018 11:42 PM

It’s getting harder since they took the lead out and they spend their resources matching current year models. Another problem is the newer colors use mica or synthetic pearls instead of ground up metals. Had some luck using fleet colors or cheaper lines of paint. Another possibility is waterborne paint.

70-SS/RS-L78 01-23-2018 11:30 AM

Today's colors are much cleaner, Trying to get the older dirty metallic look is almost impossible with the the toners they are using in todays colors. I have used Glasrurit for the older colors but our Jobber no longer sells that line. I guess I will have to find another BASF jobber in the area and hope they can match the GM code 53.
Thanks

galveston 01-24-2018 12:47 PM

Sherwin - Willams has a dead on match for Cortez silver in the ultra 7000 series, B7-2591-00 . I have a formula if you need it.

CamarosRus 01-24-2018 05:52 PM

Wanting CORRECT match for 1970 GM SHADOW GRAY....with CORRECT Metallic !!!!!!!!!

69ssoramac 01-29-2018 04:23 AM

Paint.

Chuck. I sent you an email as well. If you do not get it, possibly I can help direct you to the paint you need. Brian Cantera 7782459040

firstgenaddict 04-28-2018 02:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have found that I either have a part scanned or have them mix to formula a half pint -

Then I pour off some and shoot a test...
Check under full spectrum light source -
Check direct and 45 degree side shift
If it matches great... scale up to what you need to shoot the car.

IF NO MATCH

I take 3 small clean glass jars number 1-3 on the lid - to each I add 50-60 grams of mixed color (EXACT) then add X GRAMS of desired tint etc to the first jar write the amount on the lid.

Then spray check that sample.
IF it is not right DISCARD-
Take next premeasured sample - add less or more of desired pigment/metallic shoot - compare-
IF not right - DISCARD
NEXT preweighed sample- add less or more -

The light copper metallic for the 73 RS Z I am doing now was a SOB I probably mixed 15 samples trying to get it perfect.

The last cortez mixed I had mixed to formula then had to add 805J in order to change the side shift on the metallic...
If it is a solid I may shoot it first then determine which color in the mix is too distinct, the last WIMBLEDON WHITE MUSTANG had too much OCHRE tint (mustard yellow), had to have it remixed cut way down on it and I added until it was correct.

The 1969 GM code 69 CORTEZ is a HIGHLY magnified sample... the actual image size is less than 1/2" x 1/2" the mottle in there is the actual metallic pigments.

Second is light copper metallic 1973 GM CODE 60 BEAR TO MATCH (in the axalta DB as alternate mix formula now)