The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Big block or small block? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148224)

markinnaples 04-06-2018 03:57 PM

Big block or small block?

As I've mentioned before, I lost an oil ring in the 302 in my Camaro, so I want to swap it out for something with a little more torque and I've been taking my time and shopping around for what to put in next after I finish some stuff around the house.

I've considered another small block; maybe a 383 stroker or 406, but I've toyed with the idea of putting in a decently built big block with lots of low-end torque. Shouldn't be too hard of a swap as I have manual steering and manual brakes, but I am a little concerned about the extra weight of the BB with the manual steering (eventually changing to power steering but that's down the road some due to budgetary constraints).

So, with all of the extensive experience in here I thought I'd ask you what you'd do, hi-po small block or moderately built big block?

bbbentley 04-06-2018 05:12 PM

Big block has the best wow factor when opening the hood. If it was hard to drive a manual box with a bb, they would have never offered the combo. But they did make them this way, so it will be fine. Power will make it more enjoyable if driven regularly. You will need new front springs. These days ( and I absolutely love my bb’s ), I’d opt for a 427 small block. If torque and drive ability are the deciding factors?

WILMASBOYL78 04-06-2018 05:17 PM

big or small...???

If money is a factor...the small block route will probably be more cost effective. A big block swap will require a lot of changes and upgrades like; cooling system, exhaust, suspension, etc. A well built small block should be an in/out project with no other changes. You'll probably have the dough for your power steering and money left over.

You could even swap heads, intake, ignition, carb, etc. from the 302 onto a nice 350 short block built to LT-1 specs and be good to go. Plenty of power, the solid lifter music, and minimal aggravation.

less is more...

-wilma

bbbenny 04-06-2018 05:34 PM

Big Block

If you build a Big block with the following it will be a street beast, and friendly. 10.5 comp, mild roller cam hyd. A set of alum heads, and alum intake. With a 800 holley carb. Nothing beats cubic inches!!! BBBenny

HawkX66 04-06-2018 06:43 PM

No replacement for displacement. :3gears:

Lee Stewart 04-06-2018 06:50 PM

Stay with the HiPo small block. You will continue to enjoy the great handling you are used to. That will lessen greatly if you put in a BB.

big gear head 04-06-2018 07:36 PM

My SS396 came without power steering and I would not add it if it was free. I have no problems with the manual steering and big block.

As others have said, it would be easier and cheaper to put a small block back in place of the 302. I know that it's been done many times, but putting a big block in a small block car can present a few problems. There were several parts that were specific to big block cars, such as the heater core, frame mounts, cross member, radiator and others. You can work around all of this, but a small block would be easier. The large cubic inch small blocks are very powerful. I've seen several 427 crate small blocks that were not expensive.

markinnaples 04-06-2018 07:58 PM

Appreciate everyone's opinion.

Now, what do I do with the old 302? They decked the block so the DZ stamp is gone so not sure what to do with it now. Make it into a table with a glass top? Argh.

bbbentley 04-06-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markinnaples (Post 1395770)
Appreciate everyone's opinion.

Now, what do I do with the old 302? They decked the block so the DZ stamp is gone so not sure what to do with it now. Make it into a table with a glass top? Argh.

I could liberate it from you. Drop it off at mom’s storage unit in ft myers

bbbenny 04-07-2018 04:27 PM

block?

Mark, What to do with the 302? Advertivse here on the site. If dosen;t sell, try craigs list. But don;t give it away. Standing on edge in the corner of the garage dosen;t take up alot of room! JMO BBBenny