The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Day 2 stuff-modified cars (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Going Day II with my Z/28 (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141058)

NorCam 01-24-2017 04:29 PM

Rally Green Z/28 - Day II

I've been sitting on the fence for the past 6 months but finally decided that a Day II finish is in order while finishing off my 69 Z/28. It's only fitting since the car was in Day II trim from 69-71 before being modified as a full time Super Stocker. The new paint will be left factory original and I am now building a high rpm 302 with a stud girdle, pro stock rods, a healthy (bottom of the page) solid cam, and still waiting fir the new Trick Flow 186 style aluminum heads. I picked up an Edelbrock TM1 Tarantula intake and will top it with a 750 mechanical carb and maybe some vintage valve covers? Still thinking a vintage Accel ignition setup with a Sun SST-90 Tach. Interior will remain stock but doubt I'll be installing the console at this point.

Going to stick with with the T/T wheels for now but will add a full set of Coker Pro Trac's front and rear (215/15 front and 275/60 rear) and maybe some air shocks out back. Planning on re-painting the J-bars yellow and ordered new water slide decals for them yesterday. I'll install a vintage scatter-shield and will mount an M22 box behind the high rpm small block with a performance clutch. The 12 bolt currently has 4:10 gearing but that may be changed up to to 4:88 or 5:13's once I get things rolling along. I don't want to chop the freshly restored floors so I'll likely stick with the factory Hurst shifter and will run vintage gauges under dash.

Holler if you have any cool day II ignition parts or period correct aftermarket valve covers. Looking for some NOS Hurst air shocks as well.

https://preview.ibb.co/jg093a/IMG_0387.jpg

earntaz 01-24-2017 04:32 PM

Re: Going Day II with my Z/28

What paint system did you use? Looks great! TAZ

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 01-24-2017 07:10 PM

Digress: tell me about that heater hanging from the ceiling!

NorCam 01-24-2017 11:53 PM

What paint system did you use? Looks great! TAZ

Painter was Ron Smith. He used a Dupont product and we went with a custom tint (omitted 5% black) and he mixed in some fillers with fine metallic to get the depth and finish where I wanted it. It's hard to capture with an iphone picture but the metallic really dances in the sunlight and the depth is fantastic. I'll get a copy of the mixture printed if anyone needs it. Color was spot on with the original paint that was in the jambs prior to painting it.

https://preview.ibb.co/ePd1Gv/IMG_7205.jpg

earntaz 01-25-2017 01:09 AM

Thanks Earl. Please find out what DuPont system he used ... TAZ

NorCam 01-25-2017 02:08 PM

ENGINE RUN STAND

I have a couple motors being built right now and decided to order an engine run stand for testing purposes and initial run-in of the solid lifter cams. With four engines being finished up over the next year, it'll help when checking for issues and leaks before putting them into the cars. It's nice to run an engine in while not have having to crawl around under a car looking for leaks, and makes it easier for lashing the valves after some run time on each motor. I wish I had my own personal dyno but this is fun to play with while testing some engine builds.

~ First up was the 355ci motor with aluminum heads & a solid roller that went into the blue 68 car last month.
~ Next up is a purpose built 8000rpm 302 motor for the green 69 car. Simply put, that one's gonna be just plain nasty.

https://preview.ibb.co/hQkCpF/IMG_4742.jpg

NorCam 06-18-2017 04:33 PM

About to start the engine build of a high rpm solid roller 302 for the 69 car. I'll need to reinforce the bottom end really well and use some good rods in the short block, and still need to decide what heads & valve train I'll use? I have fuelies, and other iron heads here but will likely run the new 186 aluminum heads from trick flow if they ever release them? If not I'll run a set of AFR's as they'll need to be something that really flows well on the upper end between 4K and 8K for some fun little pulls around here. I've started collecting day II parts including an Ansen Bell, an M22 trans that I'll be using, and some Lakewood J bars to keep the tires from hopping. I now have a nice trio of Sun Gauges that are on their way courtesy of Dave Siltman, and still hoping to find a Lakewood 3-point roll barif anybody has the correct one sitting around? I have a couple sets of Vintage wheels to choose from now and I'm now on the hunt for some other things including;
  • Lakewood Driveshaft Loop (Sourced NMW)
  • Lakewood 3 Point Roll Bar 50000/54010 Kit (Sourced)
  • Hurst Line Loc (old style) NOS? (Sourced)
  • Hurst or Gabriel Shocks NOS? (Sourced)
  • Vintage Stahl or Period Correct Large Tube Headers (Sourced)
  • Period Mufflers (other than bottles) (Sourced)
  • Restored Dual Point (Sourced)
  • NOS Plug Wires (Sourced)
  • Original HP Coil (Sourced)
  • Vintage 9K Tach (Sourced)
  • Vintage 10" Slicks & Front Runners - Penneys Anyone?

I'm going to start assembling the car this week and while it'll be nicely restored, the theme will be to groom it into a super clean Day II car to keep in line with its provenance as an ex Super Stock car. All the Day 1 parts I've been collecting will be stored off to the side for future use should they be needed. Lots of pics to start following as the assembly gets started next week.

NorCam 06-18-2017 04:37 PM

Was going to run the blue line Sun Gauges but have settled on stock console gauges with a green line tach

NorCam 06-18-2017 05:01 PM

Might be nice to find this model of tach that appears in the car from 1973. Looks like an auto meter tach on the dash when it raced in the early 70's. Going to call Kym on this one and see if he recalls what it was.

scuncio 06-18-2017 06:02 PM

I have a 1969-70 vintage set of Hooker headers if you're looking for authentic stuff.