The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Time for John Force to hang 'em up? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147412)

BJCHEV396 02-26-2018 06:39 PM

Time for John Force to hang 'em up?

Did you see Force's crash at Wild Horse Raceway yesterday?Wonder if it's time for John to step back from driving?He's had a few bad crashes and not getting any younger!

Lee Stewart 02-26-2018 06:43 PM

Crush 02-26-2018 07:15 PM

Wow!

Lee Stewart 02-26-2018 07:20 PM

Not much ANY Funny Car driver can do when the engine explodes like that. Young or old - you just hang on for dear life and pray!

BTW - he's fine. He was released from the hospital last night.

SS427 02-26-2018 07:26 PM

His latest couple of crashes have nothing to do with reaction time or something he did just the nature of the sport and has no control over them. I think he handled both situations quite well all things considered.

That being said, I have to agree with you. Maybe he at that age where maybe retiring is closer on the horizon and being a spectator/owner and not so much a driver any more.

BJCHEV396 02-26-2018 07:35 PM

I didn't mean he's too old to drive but you can only dodge so many bullets when you have been driving funny cars for as long as he has!

SS427 02-26-2018 07:43 PM

I agree there. My dad always told me, "you are born with a number. When your number comes up you are going whether you are ready and wanting to or not. However, there is no reason you need to help move that number closer to coming up". Maybe it is time he slows down and enjoys life for a change.

Lee Stewart 02-26-2018 08:01 PM

Did you know his middle name is Harold? Yep - John Harold Force. His father's name was Harold BTW.

x33rs 02-26-2018 08:54 PM

I was there watching the races when it happened. The other guy got out on his own and was walking around, but John had to be removed. The wait to hear he was okay seemed like an eternity but finally after about 30 minutes they announced he was alert and communicating, which was met with loud cheers.
His daughter was strapped in and sitting in the burnout box when it happened. She got out and rushed down there. We all knew John was okay and back to normal when he was ticked about his race car, then told his daughter to get back up there and kick their asses LOL. She ended up bringing the trophy home so that was a cool ending.

There isn't much that can be done when the engine goes like that. I'm sure he couldn't see and didn't have much control after that. Doesn't help when the cars get tangled in each others chute's either. At that point they were both just along for the ride. Will be a sad day when he does retire though. He's a ball of energy, I always enjoy listening to him.

Damien 02-26-2018 09:45 PM

I for one hope he never retires! Chris Karamesines is in his mid 80's and still going. Force is 68. Driving a 10,000 plus hp wheelbarrow is no picnic and when they get out of the groove or go one to one and smoke the tyres, you're a passenger, regardless of who you are. The sport needs guys like him, as most of who come thru these days are sponsor driven robots. I miss the days of Al Hofmann, Whit Bazemore, Warren Johnson, Bob Glidden, Snake, 'Goose and the many others who were real race car drivers. More power to him!