The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Motor Wheel "Fly" wheels (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72028)

scuncio 12-26-2002 09:53 PM

Motor Wheel "Fly" wheels

Does anyone have information on the "Fly" wheels that were made by the Motor Wheel corporation in the '70s? There's a local guy selling a set in the paper and I was wondering if they're worth looking at.

Thanks,
Tony

68l30 12-27-2002 12:24 AM

Re: Motor Wheel "Fly" wheels

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an "interesting" add from June of 73........Love those wheels [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve

bkhpah 12-27-2002 12:33 AM

The fronts were made of magnesium and the rears were aluminum. They were very light. The rears are hard to find under 10". Motor Wheel also sold the Spyder. These were available through the Yenko Stinger Stuff Catalog. Finding a good used set is tough and expensive. They look very good on a Camaro or other for a great day two look. I have had both wheels on display at the Super Car Reunion...BKH

Belair62 12-27-2002 12:37 AM

The Spyders are pictured in the attachment...what do the Fly wheels look like ?

68l30 12-27-2002 12:54 AM

Still looking.....first add that came to mind.

Steve

olredalert 12-27-2002 01:48 AM

Scuncio,

------I have a full set of Flys on "Red Alert",My old 70 SS/DA 70 Chevelle.Originally the 1st owner(Bob Hamilton)had a deal with Motor and got his wheels free.They sent him Spyders for the rear though as they werent willing to guarantee strength early on.I have since located a set of 12 inch rear Flys to complete the set.Bob always said he wanted them as they were the lightest wheels on the market at the time.Former poster is correct.The rears are aluminum,and have a floating spacer in between the two halves.The narrow fronts are magnesium two piece wheels with a red filler in between the two sides.I have been told by an old Motor Wheel employee that the red filler was bowling ball material!Oh,they are a very classic flat five spoke design.
------Make sure you get lug nuts with the set as they are a specific size,and difficult to find.The center caps are also hard to find,some being aluminum,like mine,and some being plastic.Front and back sides are both useable.If you find a weird offset you can turn em around,polish em,and use em the other way.
------They can bring a pretty good amount on the right day,but sometimes you can find a set cheap.A buddy down in Cleveland has about a hundred of em!I got my rears from him ,but as a rule he wont even talk about selling em.Dont know why he needs em all.Probably sleeps with em I guess............Bill S.......ol red!

scuncio 12-27-2002 02:41 AM

Well, I went ahead and bought them tonight...and now I just read all these replies and I'm thrilled to hear that these are the Red Alert wheels. These will be going on my much less famous '70 Chevelle SS396. The seller only had two wheels, both 15x8 with the Chevy bolt pattern. These are the aluminum wheels with the floating spacer. They are super light and pretty cool looking. Unfortunately, the lug nuts were long gone and it looks like they're supposed to be some kind of extended shank design with a flat washer.
The lip of each rim is a little nicked up and the finish is oxidized. Has anybody found a safe, mild cleaner to use that won't affect the surface?

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Belair62 12-27-2002 02:09 PM

Post a picture Tony.....

olredalert 12-27-2002 04:36 PM

Tony,

------Good for you.Glad you got them.You are correct in your lug-nut assesment.The problem is that the hole is larger than any nut you are going to find out there.I had some sleeves machined up that slipped over any currently available shank style lug-nut.Make sure what ever nuts you buy,that they extend almost all the way thru the wheel.Also dont over torque these wheels as the spacer is aluminum as well and you can damage them.Ive got the torque figure written down somewhere,but cant lay my hands on it.Maybe another member can give us a good figure.
------Good luck trying to find another pair.Ill keep my eyes open for you.......Bill S.......ol red!
------P.S....Make sure you take a good long look at your wheels,as they were manufactured for drag-racing only.Any small fissures around the bolt holes,or anywhere for that matter would give me pause as to using them!

scuncio 12-27-2002 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a couple of pictures today. These wheels don't look like they were really abused, just weathered. The seller's story is that they were on a '64 Nova drag car from Florida that had been campaigned in the '70s and had sat since 1979. Chrome on the center caps is pretty much gone but the color on the medallions is nice.