The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Automotive News says the Dodge Demon should be banned (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144502)

69LM1 09-11-2017 11:35 PM

Automotive News says the Dodge Demon should be banned

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/...be-banned.html

Automotive News says the Dodge Demon should be banned

"Trade publication Automotive News has called for the new Dodge Challenger SRT Demon to be banned in a scathing editorial regarding the muscle car titled “Keep the Dodge Demon off our roads.”

The outlet called the 808 hp Demon “inherently dangerous to the common safety of motorists,” even while admitting there are other “more powerful, and even faster vehicles available from other automakers that are rightly street legal.”

The Demon was designed to be the quickest car in the world, and it has several drag racing-style features never before offered on a factory production car, including a transmission brake and a standard set of drag radials, which have the minimum amount of tread to be approved for street use by the DOT.

The car only ships with a driver’s seat and can run on 100 octane race gas with a factory upgrade that comes with a warranty and bumps its power up to 840 hp. The Demon’s quarter-mile performance of 9.65 seconds at 140 mph means that it requires a roll cage to be used on a drag strip if its owner actually plans to drive it that quickly.

The editorial says that the Demon is “the result of a sequence of misguided corporate choices that places bragging rights ahead of public safety,” and that it “spits” on the industry’s goal of improving safety while “knowingly placing motorists in danger.” It goes on to quote Ralph Nader and proclaim the Demon “unsafe at any speed.”
"

Wow.. harsh, or as my kids say, Salty.

Rich

earntaz 09-11-2017 11:41 PM

requires a roll cage to be used on a drag strip ...

I think NHRA has banned it for the above reason ... TAZ

Dave Rifkin 09-11-2017 11:41 PM

I kind of agree; there are too many people with more money than driving skill. You put someone who has never experienced such power behind the wheel and God knows what could happen.
I love fast, powerful cars and have owned my fair share but, just because I could afford it (and I can't) doesn't mean I could handle a car with that kind of power.

Turbo70Camaro 09-11-2017 11:59 PM

Snowflake alert snowflake alert. Can we become any softer jeez.

Crush 09-12-2017 12:39 AM

Hmmm maybe we should ban the Kawasaki Ninja ZX 14r too and just about every street bike. Lord knows NO one drives them over the speed limit! Geez!

Vern B 09-12-2017 12:59 AM

Author must not make enough money to afford one.

Kurt S 09-12-2017 04:16 AM

I see where they are coming from.
Chevrolet made COPO not street legal. "COPO is a true racing machine, specifically offered for competitive NHRA use only. It cannot be registered, titled, licensed, or driven on public roads." With roll cage.
Dodge probably should have done the same. It's a racecar that shouldn't be run on the street, IMO.

SuperNovaSS 09-12-2017 04:33 AM

If they did that than they would sell very few and they would lose money.

Jason

flyingn 09-12-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo70Camaro (Post 1367492)
Snowflake alert snowflake alert. Can we become any softer jeez.

Exactly. What about all the Lambos and other exotics that are faster? They are ok?

Its nothing more then more Anti American BS, just like all the snowflakes do.

Dave Rifkin 09-12-2017 12:02 PM

For all of you guys referring to people a "snowflakes"; I'm sure we've all seen wealthy dipshits at cruises who try and show off and lose control of the car. Many times these same idiots wind up running into a crowd of innocent bystanders.

Do I want the government to rule out all hi performance cars; hell no but do I think the manufacturers should market their "street" cars as race cars, no. The friggin' thing doesn't even have a passenger seat, comes with slicks and other features typically reserved for a full time race car.
As to the comparison to the Lambos and other exotics; do you see any of those manufacturers removing seats, providing race tires and touting the car as the baddest thing on the street?
Sure there are ubber wealthy folks who own those cars too and some of those people can't drive for shit but, those cars are portrayed as street racers.

If these opinions make me a snowflake so be it.