The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Friend found this Hurst shifter. What is it? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148858)

John Brown 05-07-2018 07:31 PM

Friend found this Hurst shifter. What is it?

6 Attachment(s)
Friend showed me this yesterday. He picked it up at a garage sale. Wouldn't be surprised if it is from a truck or van. Doesn't even have Hurst name on the handle, but it has Hurst on the main body. 0029 is stamped low down on the front side of the main body. Anyone care to venture a guess?

AnthonyS 05-07-2018 09:02 PM

Maybe pull the handle and see if there's a (four digit?) application number stamped there?...

crash 05-07-2018 11:40 PM

Early 80's GM 1/2 ton pick up with Mopar 833 O.D. 4-speed trans...

Hope this helps... Crash

John Brown 05-08-2018 01:03 AM

Thanks Crash.

:biggthumpup:

Keith Seymore 05-08-2018 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 1400095)
Early 80's GM 1/2 ton pick up with Mopar 833 O.D. 4-speed trans...

Hope this helps... Crash

x2.

RPO MY6.

K

Keith Seymore 05-08-2018 12:44 PM

Here's the story on mine.

Posting it here, since I already had it written up for a different reason:

Somewhere in the late 80's I saw that trans going down the line. When I saw that floor mounted Hurst shifter I knew I had to have one (this is one of the big disadvantages of working in a vehicle assembly plant!).

I ordered my truck in the fall of 1986. It was assigned to Flint Assembly (my plant) just by dumb luck, not because I had anything to do with it. I kept checking on the order to see when it was going to be built and everything was going along fine, when suddenly all communication stopped.

I was able to get ahold of someone in order processing and they informed me my truck had been "stop ordered" = stop build. I asked why and they said it was because Hurst was being bought out by Mr Gasket and they weren't sure they were going to get a sufficient supply of shifters, so they stop ordered the combination.

I was bummed, but starting thinking of alternate plans. I knew I could order the three on the tree M62/M64, and then install a Saginaw four speed with the floor shift, which is what I did with my '80 pickup. No overdrive in that setup, though.

One day during this time I was walking through the plant and went past the motor line. I looked over and noticed they had these MY6 trans in volume, stacked up like cordwood. I asked the supervisor "how many of these do you think you have?". He said "...prolly a hunnert". I said "don’t' you think we should run 'em out?"

He agreed, so I ran and found my boss and asked him to write a temporary deviation allowing the build of 100 vehicles with this transmission (which he did). My truck just happened to be one of the 100 vehicles, again, by random chance ;o)

So - my truck was scheduled to be built and I got to the plant Monday Sept 29 of 1986 about 4 pm, and found it coming down out of paint and ready to start in the trim area. I followed the cab through trim, then hopped downstairs and followed the motor/chassis through build, to body drop, and down the final line. I let the end of line driver do the roll test (even though he invited me to do it) and he drove it to the short repair line. I drove it off the short repair line to the shipping area myself, told Lloyd Flewelling "Lloyd - that's my truck" and left the plant about 1 am Tuesday morning. By 5 pm that day it was sitting at Graff's in Davison, 9 miles away. The truck got to the dealership two days before the paperwork. Still had to pay $525 in shipping, too.

Anyway - I say all that to say - it's a sweet little trans. My truck was a daily driver for nearly 30 years, and 250,000 miles of spirited commuting, light hauling and trailering. I never had to touch the trans and it still shifts smoothly with a satisfying "click" when going from 2nd into 3rd. There were a few occasions when I would have liked a little more first gear, or a five speed, but never enough to disrupt the original configuration.

K

John Brown 05-08-2018 01:05 PM

Cool. :burnout:

Jonesy 05-08-2018 02:01 PM

Great story Keith. Never knew you could order one that way.