The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Muscle (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   1st Mustang Cobra ever built.....with 'test parts' (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111876)

iluv69s 10-12-2010 10:34 PM

1st Mustang Cobra ever built.....with 'test parts'

My friend has the very first Mustang Cobra ever built at his shop. He is rotisserie restoring it for the omner. It is a 1993. I realize it is not a chevy or an old musclecar..but thought someone here might be interested anyway...
I did not really believe the story as the car is just a shell in primer on the rotisserie at the moment. But I started checking the rear spoiler and lower skirt parts that are unbolted from the car and I found "test parts" engraved and it seems the guys at Ford actually signed the rear fin underneath with an engraver. The original marks and dates and codes are written allover... I thought I would take some pics next time there... if anyone is interested, I will post....

old5.0 10-13-2010 12:37 AM

Re: 1st Mustang Cobra ever built.....with 'test pa

Hell yes I'm interested! Let's see some pics! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Pulnaway 10-13-2010 01:33 AM

Does this car have the original SVT cerificates stating its #1 ? They made alot more than one test car. The owner needs to contact SVT and they can get replacment docs for his vin showing its no# I had a teal 93 that I ordered the replacment paper for. Very cool if it is!

iluv69s 10-13-2010 02:11 AM

SVT certs?? heck if I know.....but apparently it is the correct VIN as being the number 1 car......the first built...I have not seen the owner at my buddy's shop this year...but, when I talked to him a whie ago. he seemed to know about these things. I guess the VIN's are published..or available?? I will stop by there tomorrow if I have time and take some pics.

I hope it is the first Cobra because this guy is really going crazy restoring this car..he has bought many NOS parts for the car....I cannot imagine how much he will have invested in this car when it is done....and what it is actually worth.

mockingbird812 10-13-2010 02:57 AM

When I lived in Maryland a neighbor told me he had the local Ford dealership deliver a brand new Teal '93 Cobra delivered on a flat bed to his home. He stored it in his heated / dehumidified garage and ran it around the block occasionally. He was planning to give it to his grandson when he turned 16 (the lucky kid was about 8 at the time when I left in 2001 and grandpa still had the Cobra waiting for him).

old5.0 10-13-2010 03:39 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SVT certs?? heck if I know.....but apparently it is the correct VIN as being the number 1 car......the first built...I have not seen the owner at my buddy's shop this year...but, when I talked to him a whie ago. he seemed to know about these things. I guess the VIN's are published..or available?? I will stop by there tomorrow if I have time and take some pics.

I hope it is the first Cobra because this guy is really going crazy restoring this car..he has bought many NOS parts for the car....I cannot imagine how much he will have invested in this car when it is done....and what it is actually worth. </div></div>

The first three pilot cars are known to have been destroyed. I think the earliest known pilot in private hands is #8, which may be this car. I don't think the #1 production car is in the registry, but I haven't looked for a while.

Ultra low mile 93's with bulletproof paper and owner history have gotten close to $50,000. If this is the #8 pilot car, I'm sure it would bring more.

Unfortunately, docs are important because fakes have already started to show up.

Sportyworty 10-13-2010 05:03 AM

The story on the first 18 93 Cobra's is that they were used for photo shoots, shows and testing. Cars 1,2 &amp; 3 were destroyed in crash tests, which leaves 15 cars left. The first car sold to the public was car #19.

old5.0 10-13-2010 09:26 AM

#8, 11, 14, 15, and 18 are all in private owner's hands. I checked the registry, and shows that #11 was delivered new through Blue Springs Ford here in Kansas City. No dealer listed for the other 4. The first regular production car, #19, was sold new in Maryland. It was in very rough condition in 2007, and the owner was gathering parts for a ground up restoration.

flyingn 10-13-2010 01:58 PM

interesting stuff..

al8apex 10-13-2010 06:07 PM

why would it need to be restored?