The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Day 2 stuff-modified cars (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Need Spring/Brake Advice on 69 Camaro (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148719)

bbbentley 04-29-2018 11:04 AM

Need Spring/Brake Advice on 69 Camaro

In the process of building my 69 Camaro COPO serious drag contender replication. Here is what I am seeking opinion on:

1) if you were trying to replicate a COPO turned drag car, Stocker or Super Stock type car, what rear springs would you use? Would multileaf, as a COPO used, be the preferred look? Or, would mono, which were preferred for drag, I am told, make the correct impression? Remember: COPO clone drag car when answering.

2) Basically the same type question regarding front brakes. Would you run power disc because that is how a COPO came or standard drums because this was a modification done for drag racing.

This is not a cost issue. I already have all combinations on hand. Thanks sYc.

NorCam 04-29-2018 12:02 PM

Answer 1). I'd say multi leaf rear springs and a good set of drag shocks and slapper bars

Answer 2). My vote would be factory power disk or possibly Wilwood master w/ disk front

bbbentley 04-29-2018 12:43 PM

shocks

thank you for your opinion. I want to hear more from others. I have shocks. New Gabriel 90/10 s and Gabriel Hijackers out back (unless a better suggestion on the shock choice). I have the highest rated new BB front springs made for every option plus AC.

cook_dw 05-08-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1398911)
Answer 1). I'd say multi leaf rear springs and a good set of drag shocks and slapper bars

Answer 2). My vote would be factory power disk or possibly Wilwood master w/ disk front

Surprisingly I agree except for the Wilwood since this is a vintage look recreation. I would also run shackle plates too.. Get that booty in the air a little.

bbbentley 05-08-2018 04:33 PM

Thanks, Darrell. Plans are for shackles...anyone have some they’d sell?

mockingbird812 05-08-2018 05:59 PM

Bentley - I have a set. Let me dust 'em off and see what I gots!

mockingbird812 05-08-2018 09:28 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Bentley,
Let me know if these will work for you…

mockingbird812 05-08-2018 09:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More info.....

bbbentley 05-08-2018 09:45 PM

:Can-I-Have-It::burnout::beers:Dang!!!! Id like those just to display. Of course those would fit what I need. Ill take em !! We will settle up. This site ROCKS!

bbbentley 05-09-2018 12:18 AM

Exactly why I asked this question. As a COPO tribute, of course we all would expect the items that that package had on an original car ( disc fronts and multi leafs out back). But if we are emulating a race car of the era...well, my research showed the same as you speak of , drums, monos. And that is what precipitated this question. And yes, shackles were for squirrels. But it has been so long since seeing them on a hot rod street car, I think I want them in this build. BITD, all the Fords had shackles ‘cause the springs went bad on most of them. Guys would have the shackles at different heights from one side to the other just to get the car level. Fortunately, GM cars only had shackles to raise the car.