The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Baldwin-Motion Performance (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   71 Baldwin Motion Camaro (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134613)

Tim_B 10-25-2015 06:05 PM

Re: 71 Baldwin Motion Camaro

Z28 car seems likely. There are small remnants of the front spoiler bolted to the lower front valance.

whitetop 10-25-2015 07:25 PM

Tim, 2-3 pics of the car are in Hot Rod -article in the late 1970's..article was about a high performance used car lot-it wore Cragars back then.

The only change I would do is lose the late 70's Sun Tach and put in a more accurate early 70's version.

Ansens improve the look 100% No Motion car should have stock wheels IMO.

Dave Rifkin 10-25-2015 10:32 PM

I think I saw that article; the car lot was called Car Village and it was in PA. I stopped by there one time on my way to Carlisle. As I recall they had a grabber blue and black 1970 Boss 302 for sale and a 1969 TA that was missing the rear bumper when I was there. The salesman said they had the bumper for the car.

Wound up test driving a 1970 Barracuda that someone had installed a 440 6bbl and a 4 speed in; that car was fast. I was hoping they'd still have something like that Motion car on the lot but, no such luck.

I do recall seeing your car driving down Pacific Avenue in Atlantic City sometime in the mid to late '80's. I was a valet parker at the Tropicana and stopped in my tracks when I saw that car drive by.

COPO 10-25-2015 11:46 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Z28 car seems likely. There are small remnants of the front spoiler bolted to the lower front valance.
</div></div>

It was a Z-28 from the factory. Trim tag is coded for a Z-28. It has been in at least 3 or 4 magazines and calendars and is a very well known car. I recall most of the paint is original as well, but under the hood had been fluffed a bit.

PxTx 10-26-2015 12:43 AM

I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car!

Tim_B 10-26-2015 10:01 PM

Great information, guys. Thanks for sharing!

Another question:

When these cars were delivered new to Baldwin Chevy as Z28's, I assume they came with the Z28 stripes. How did Motion Performance go about painting the Motion stripes on the car as well as painting the fiberglass hood to match? I wonder if they would have tried to blend the paint or if they would have masked and resprayed the whole car so it would match. I've heard that they worked with a paint shop near by, but wondering if anyone knows how they actually went about this.

Born30YrsLate 10-27-2015 04:38 AM

Gary &quot;The Local Brush&quot; Kupfer did a lot of paint work for Motion...still around... Gary The Local Brush

whitetop 10-27-2015 07:24 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car! </div></div>
Sun Super Tach II came out around 1976 or so.

Tim_B 10-27-2015 10:14 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car! </div></div>
Sun Super Tach II came out around 1976 or so. </div></div>

Any thoughts or opinions as to what would be accurate here?

whitetop 10-27-2015 11:14 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be curious what the date is on that Sun Super Tach II is. I thought they came out in 1971? Great car! </div></div>
Sun Super Tach II came out around 1976 or so. </div></div>

Any thoughts or opinions as to what would be accurate here? </div></div>
Sun Super Tach II was added in the mid to late 70's by subsequent owner. SST from early 70's would be more accurate. What tach does the paperwork say?