The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Spray adhesive (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146382)

BillD 01-03-2018 03:33 PM

Spray adhesive

1 Attachment(s)
I am putting some vintage stickers and decals on the inside of my trunk lid. The old water slide decals I can work with. I also have a few adhesive backed items that have at least partially dried out. Does anyone know of a good adhesive (spray?)that would work for the stickers?.

This is one of the stickers I am working with. Some of the adhesive is dried up and some of it is still a little sticky

70 copo 01-03-2018 05:18 PM

Any of the better spray adhesives should be effective, but you would need to clean up any excess. Another good outcome might be double sided tape and trim to match the decal, stick on and you are good to go.

mockingbird812 01-03-2018 05:55 PM

3 M makes a good spray adhesive.

Salvatore 01-03-2018 06:59 PM

A good glue stick also works great for that stuff Bill. I used a glue stick to adhere an original PA. inspection sticker to the windshield of both of my cars with very good success.
Gotta clean the surface well and your golden.

Should work for your vintage decals too.

keepitreal 01-03-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mockingbird812 (Post 1382272)
3 M makes a good spray adhesive.

X2

BillD 01-04-2018 08:32 PM

Thank you for all the help with this.

Unreal 01-05-2018 07:57 PM

I use 3M 77 for lots of non-Camaro uses and a couple of Camaro uses. Works great.

SS427 01-05-2018 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 3M adhesive is fine for what you are doing but be cautious of this or any other spray adhesive if doing headliner or insulation work. It does not stick long term. Absolutely worthless for headliner and in most cases insulation in my opinion. I used to use it to make vinyl repairs such as when a door panel vinyl released around the edged or gluing insulation to the inside cowl area under the dash (pictured) only to come back weeks later and find the insulation had literally fallen off the back of the cowl or the vinyl had released. I followed the directions to the letter. Does not seem to matter whose spray I used. Now it is strictly gun applied with a professional grade adhesive.

However with regards to decals I have had very good luck with spray adhesives. One word of caution especially on paper decals such as posi decals, spray it on in very thin coats or it will react similar to spraying straight water on it and will bleed right through and stain.

Billohio 01-06-2018 01:47 AM

Rick, I have door panels to recover on my chrysler 300G. Vinyl material to stick on a fiberboard like material. What is the adhesive you use?
Thanks
Bill

m22mike 01-06-2018 03:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill
Use this. Spray or brush, both surfaces, wait till it is dry to touch.
Good stuff. See what Rick says too, rattle can crap SUX
Google it, got my last on ebay and I would bet Amazon has it too.

Mike