The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Period correct ? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176051)

Mr Posi 07-04-2023 03:59 PM

Period correct ?

What would be the standard , eg transmission for a period correct application.
Would a tranny built 14m0nths ago be to long of a time frame. What's the vibe regarding period correct versus matching numbers ?

Eg installing a tranny Turbo 400 from a 400 hp 1969 corvette for a yenko nova LT 1 ?

lowmile 07-04-2023 07:46 PM

It's either the born with part or it can be a correctly stamped, correct date piece, which is not as good value wise as the born with piece. When I hear "period correct" piece it sounds like I was too lazy, too cheap or unable not to find a part that should be on the car and this is as close as I'm willing to get. It still detracts from value on an original type car no matter what you call it. Now on a day two car a period correct accessory can add value to a build. In the end it's just words and means different things to different people. Just my 2 cents worth. m

WILMASBOYL78 07-05-2023 01:50 PM

TH400 Trans...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Posi (Post 1626396)
What would be the standard , eg transmission for a period correct application.
Would a tranny built 14m0nths ago be to long of a time frame. What's the vibe regarding period correct versus matching numbers ?

Eg installing a tranny Turbo 400 from a 400 hp 1969 corvette for a yenko nova LT 1 ?

If you are asking specifically about the TH400 application for the Deuce the correct unit is coded CW. This is the same unit used in 1970 L78 applications and the 1970 Z28. It is a HD unit with hi-shift point governor, 6 lug convertor and upgraded internals. Any TH400 can be modified to these specs if you have a knowledgeable tranny shop.

As for the 69 tranny...if it is from a 400hp Vette, that would be a tri-carb 427 hydraulic motor car. Not sure how many of these were made, but it might be more valuable to a 'Vette guy' looking for a correct unit ??

Hope that helps...

-wilma

Mr Posi 07-05-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 (Post 1626441)
If you are asking specifically about the TH400 application for the Deuce the correct unit is coded CW. This is the same unit used in 1970 L78 applications and the 1970 Z28. It is a HD unit with hi-shift point governor, 6 lug convertor and upgraded internals. Any TH400 can be modified to these specs if you have a knowledgeable tranny shop.

As for the 69 tranny...if it is from a 400hp Vette, that would be a tri-carb 427 hydraulic motor car. Not sure how many of these were made, but it might be more valuable to a 'Vette guy' looking for a correct unit ??

Hope that helps...

-wilma

The removable tag on the tranny would the part of tranny which would indicate correct for the car.I would imagine that tag can easily be replicated . In other words buyer be aware?

WILMASBOYL78 07-05-2023 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Posi (Post 1626462)
The removable tag on the tranny would the part of tranny which would indicate correct for the car.I would imagine that tag can easily be replicated . In other words buyer be aware?

Yes the Turbo-Hydramatic tags are riveted on the pass. side of the case...but, if it is an assembly line unit there will be a VIN stamp on the case in one of two locations. The stamping will indicate model year, assembly plant and last 6 of the VIN. Just like the deck stamp on the front of the engine...the application can be defined from that info.

Additionally, there was often a screen printed letter code on the case...for the 70 hi-perf it is CW and is typically pink.

-wilma

Mr70 07-05-2023 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The assembly line Hydramatic Trans tags have decipherable info stamped into them as well.
Application,model year,date assembled,seq#.

67 442 07-05-2023 08:33 PM

I have made a decal to restore the trans ID tag. The stamps used to impress the #s are very very hard to find with the correct font.

67 442 07-05-2023 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Said decal.

Mr Posi 07-05-2023 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 (Post 1626464)
Yes the Turbo-Hydramatic tags are riveted on the pass. side of the case...but, if it is an assembly line unit there will be a VIN stamp on the case in one of two locations. The stamping will indicate model year, assembly plant and last 6 of the VIN. Just like the deck stamp on the front of the engine...the application can be defined from that info.

Additionally, there was often a screen printed letter code on the case...for the 70 hi-perf it is CW and is typically pink.

-wilma

Can I assume finding a CW tranny is not easy ?? Please forgive my ignorance , I think I know the answer.

WILMASBOYL78 07-05-2023 09:48 PM

TH400 Tranny....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Posi (Post 1626474)
Can I assume finding a CW tranny is not easy ?? Please forgive my ignorance , I think I know the answer.

It is a rare part, but they do turn up once in awhile. Here is a link to an earlier thread on the SYC.

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1279256

Somewhere I have some good photos of a CW unit I sold...will try to find.

-wilma