View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 AM

Default Re: 1968 Catalina 2 door sedan, 428-4spd

With respect to 442W30 post; yes, I was a good friend of Hillar. I sold him a 1970 Pontiace Laurentian, 2 door, 454 cu. in.car that was one of 221 full size cars made with that option in Canada in 1970 and it had 31,000 original miles, probably less than 10 of those particular cars made. I knew him for many years prior to that and he frequently came to see me. We would discuss the Canadian hi-performance Pontiacs with great enthusiasm during that time as they were not made in the United States. There is no forum to discuss these hi-performance cars now and they are a dying breed. There were few original B-body big block cars made from 1965 to 1970 in the Canadian Pontiac line and documentation of these is somewhat rare. Hillar was a wonderful, energetic person, so full of excitement about the Canadian Pontiac hi-performance cars and he infused this excitement in everyone he met. There was no pretence as to what made a high performance Canadian Pontiac, just that they did exist and were made in various models, Acadians, Beumonts and full size B-bodies, mostly being big block cars, although some small block 350 hrs cars were made. They were all built on a Chevrolet frame and drivetrain, hence the big block chevrolet engines. I've seen many Pontiac forums where people tend to resent and dismiss these cars because they are not made as a pure Pontiac. In any event they look like a Pontiac, were built like a Pontiace, were purchased as a Pontiac, can be documented by GM of Canada as a Pontiac and then MUST therfor be a Pontiac. I miss him and his knowledge as to these cars very much. Its disappointing now that there is no one to discuss and get excited about these cars with. Doug.