View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 03:20 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Ryan Weaver's 1969 Olds Cutlass S W31 Club Coupe

Good stuff guys!!!

Thanks RamblinDealer, I used his press to remove the axle bearings and seal rings. I also removed the front lower control arm ball joints, round bushings, oval bushings, front upper control arm cross shafts, and bushings. Other than the two bushings in the upper mounts of the rear end I am done suspension disassembly:-)

I borrowed the neighbors small torch to heat the U-joint housings to melt the blue plastic out to release the caps, this was new to me and ended up in a major safety hazard:-( NO Injuries) I heated a few and the blue plastic exited the tiny holes nicely, then as I heated another one the cap popped out of the driveshaft and banged into the eve trough, my assumption is that the grease inside the cap after being heated lit on fire and the heat/pressure built up under the cap, then as soon as the heat expanded the ring around the cap enough to release it the cap shot out like a rocket:-( I was working almost outside the garage and was staying well back at the time so just a near miss. Feel free to chime in if you know the error of my ways.

I got the rest out without issue, so the driveshaft is ready for media blasting and Powdercoating too:-)

Then I was on such a roll I had the tools borrowed to finish disassembling the rear end, removed the pinion shaft, bearings, pinion seal, outer races of the tapered roller bearings, crush sleeve, etc:-) (just remembered I need to remove the axle seals)

I will post a few pictures tomorrow:-)

Today was a real critical day, I was pretty stuck! Thanks again Terry for the use of the press, that got me going again!!

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31