Thread: ebay tax
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinm View Post
I have been charged sales tax regardless of where (country, state) comes from for a year already. I guess that out of country sales tax goes right in ebay pocket.

Just wait until you see the sellers getting 1099s - that is what has just started, or will Jan 1

34 states charge sales tax on Ebay items. Again, the tax comes from the buyers state not the sellers. If you live in a state that has decided to jump on the tax bandwagon then you will pay sales tax if you buy something on Ebay. It does not matter where the seller lives.

The 1099's for sellers have been coming from PayPal for a few years now. Over $10,000 and 200 transactions. That was somewhat fair if you think about it. Now read the next paragraph.

Here's a new one thanks to the current administration. From Ebay "As of January 2022 the IRS will require all annual online sales over $600 to be reported using from 1099-K". So translated that means if you sell on Ebay a nicley dated 4053 carb or a couple of YH wheels you will have to report it and pay sales tax on it.

I was going to add some additional political comments but I will refrain because that is not what this forum is about.
65 Impala 396/425
65 Triumph TR4 Original Family Owned