View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 05:00 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,207 Posts

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have not professionally sold and installed tires since the 80s. Hunter didn’t even have a Road Force balancer then. When I mounted a new tire, if it was out of round, I checked the rim first, and if the rim was true, then I dismounted the tire and sent it back to the distributor. JMHO, but given modern production methods and all that is available today, there is simply no excuse for manufacturing a tire that isn’t round.

Road Force and out of round are two different things. If a tire is round and it takes a Road Force balance to keep it from vibrating, my opinion is that there is a manufacturing defect in carcass of the tire. There is no other explanation for why it would impart a different “force” to the road at different places on the tire.

I know every manufacturer has a standard (or standards, as larger tires are apparently allowed to be more out of round) for roundness on tires. I haven’t found where any manufacturer publishes that data.

On my Denali, I am certain it is too late to make any kind of warranty claim, as I bought the tires and had them mounted about 6 -8 months ago. I just did not know they were out of round (three of the four, that is) because I did not have my own balancer at the time. I just chalked the vibration up to the clowns at the local installer not being very adept at balancing. I saw a lot of techs over the years that just put on the recommended weight, and they are done. I have NEVER taken a tire off the wheel balancer until I see double zeros. So, after 8 or so months, I am certain that Tire Rack and Michelin will not respond. I will just live with it. After all it is my winter beater, so it doesn’t get driven all that much.

Just to clarify this situation, when I get the tires for Sherri’s car and install them later this week, I will get out the dial indicator and see how out of round they are. 205/55R-16 MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER A/S SL. While I have that set up in place, I can measure the two rear tires on the Denali.