View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 02:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default My new 68 El Camino project

I wanted something with a little more cool factor for those times when I need to haul something. The F150 just wasn't doing it for me, so I am selling it. It has been very reliable, but hey, its still a ferd.

Just bought a 68 El Camino, originally Grecian Green, black interior, 307 pg, factory air (needs at least a compressor, but most parts are there) and ps.

Has had at least one color change, and is currently flat black. Very rust free body, with slight damage to rf fender. Still in shock as to how little rust there is.

Still has the power glide with a 69 or 70 vintage 350 two barrel. Only missing two small pieces of trim, but the rest has been pulled to prep for paint. Needs weather strip. Runs and drives, but I plan to trailer it home. Short term plan is:

Get rid of the hideous red window tint.

Re-install original steering wheel (came with the car).

Replace leaking pg with 200r4

Get engine in good running order. Will wait and see if it needs a rebuild.

Go through the brakes and front end.

Get the body cleaned up and paint flat black.

Install some used tires and wheels (think I have some located).

Install a trailer hitch, and it will be my utility vehicle for now.

I don't haul much heavy stuff. When I do, I can use my Studebaker farm truck. For hauling cars, I can use this to pull my car hauler trailer. I will need to wire it so the trailer brakes work.

Long term will probably go back with the Grecian Green paint. Not worried about being Purdy right now.
Attached Images

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...