View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Setting up Shop in Dayton (aka Cholla's Retreat)

As mentioned in another thread, I decided to put in a professionally installed epoxy floor. I had a good experience with this in AZ, but had concerns about the tougher climate in the mid-west. Mike G. has used this process in the mid-west and AZ and recommended a company called Premier Garage. It ain't cheap, but overall met my requirements for how I would be using my shop.

Right off the bat, a problem showed up. When the slab was created in 2003, my flooring guys said it appears the original concrete guys got behind the power curve and the concrete was setting up too fast for them to keep up with it so, it looks like they added significant amounts of water so that the cement rose to the top so that they could smooth it sufficiently. Well this creates a weak top layer and as soon as my guys started to diamond grind it, the top surface began to crumble. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img] So, plan B was to do a deep coarse grind to get down to the strong concrete level (about 1/8&quot.

Here is the initial diamond surface grind (note store bought gray epoxy paint applied a few years ago by previous owner) and the crumbly aftermath....

And then, the results of the deep, coarse grind. This provides a good foundation for an epoxy slurry that will even out the imperfections (This is being done later today)....