View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Product Question; Rust Treatment

So the 1976 Formula discussed is in the garage though a couple of "gremlins" as expected with a low mileage rarely driven car. After some investigation of the tank and fuel filter, I determined the old fuel in the car in addition to moisture had caused quite a bit of erosion in the tank. It was disclosed that the car needed a sending unit (also pointed out by a member) so had planned on doing a cleanse on the fuel system anyway so not surprised. At this point, I have a new tank, sending unit, fuel pump, filter and back lines just about completed, waiting for a tank vent line (something related to emissions for that year). I will make sure the lines from the tank to the pump are tended to as well.
The car has been undercoated from new, under the tank was really nice red oxide primer and I was pretty pleased with that.
The only item I would like to freshen up is suspension related rust; leafs, front end, etc....I do not want to alter the originality of the car with undercarriage paint or related products. A friend told me about this made by New Hampshire Oil Undercoating. He was a previous Fluid Film advocate until he discovered this. It is a all natural non-permanent oil blend with a tint that will freshen it up without giving the appearance of a spray bomb job. I would only need to do front end components, parts of the rear end and leafs. Curious if anyone had experience with this product. Seems to be a nice alternative and again, I really don't want to do anything that is permanent and this will actually wash off over time but also claims to penetrate and stop the progression of rust. I did try a test spot on the old tank and it sprays nice and looks like the pic below, I was skeptical it was a photoshop situation on the pic they provided
I ended up getting the tank and related parts at Ames Performance in NH, great outfit. The sending unit is below, you can imagine what the inside of the tank looks like.....
Worth mentioning, the seller offered to pay for all parts and my time to address the problems though I declined knowing that he had been clear that the fuel was old and the car was running in a manner that would not indicate a big problem. Interestingly enough, the issue started ONLY after I introduced new ethanol fuel to the old fuel.
Thanks for any input, you guys have been beyond helpful with observations and opinions.
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry SU PONT.JPG Pump.JPG NHOU Can.JPG NHOU BA.JPG
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...