View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 10:20 PM

Default Re: More Chevelle updates

Just a brief update for this weekend; Body guys were both hard at work pretty much all week trying to get the fenders back into a usable condition. DS fender...not so bad...PS fender...not so good...but they've managed to save it.

The previous patch job at the bottom of the fender is fixed, and the dents have now been smoothed out.

There was a nice crease about 1/4 way back on the fender that had been stuffed full of Bondo, and the forward edge of the fender had been jammed back and stuffed full of Bondo as well. At least there wasn't any more rust to contend with. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Body guy #2 hard at work

Another skim coat of filler goes on the DS fender.

QUICK!...somebody call Ghost Hunters!...we've got orbs! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

As we were getting ready to leave today, bodyguy #1 mentioned that we're not too far away from needing to order paint.

Putting aside the nervous shiver those words sent down my spine... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]

As fate would have it, it appears I now must let the cat out of the bag; I had planned on keeping the color choice a secret, but after doing some research on the color of choice, it's been revealed that what is currently being offered by the paint suppliers isn't considered to be very accurate.

So here's where I need to ask for some help.

I've decided to paint the car in Deepwater Blue in homage to the now-deceased `67 SS396 Chevelle that first turned me on to Chevelles as a youngster (those who've taken the time to read &quot;The Chevelle Project&quot; on my website will know the car I refer to).

In researching reference pics, it's become obvious that there are several different &quot;Deepwater Blue&quot; variants out there, and I need to know which is correct. I've read where one well-known paint manufacturer isn't even close, and where several people have had to have the color custom-mixed to attain the correct results. I had hoped to resolve this on the sly in order to make the final reveal a little more entertaining, but I've struck out so far and time is now becoming an issue.

So if anyone reading this has any information regarding this issue, I would <span style="font-style: italic">greatly</span> appreciate any info you might be able to share.

More later.