View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 08:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Hi Ryan,

Yup, the Duster was my first tow car. Another deal that my Dad was at the front of since the 60 Chevy with a straight six and a powerglide did not have the ability to tow anything, it barely had enough power to move itself. If you recall, I mentioned the 60 Chevy in one of the earlier stories when the Yenko was turned into a full time race car. Funny story about the 60 Chevy, I always knew when it needed oil, the valve train would start squeaking, so I always carried a big screw driver and I would pull the valve cover off, dump the full quart of oil all over the rocker arms, push rods and springs, put the valve cover back on and be on my way, although, sometimes it needed two quarts. That car had a lot of problems, but it was always dependable and pretty much indestructable. Back to the Duster, Dad thought it would be a good idea to get the Duster since it was a little over $2000.00 out the door brand new. I worked every available minute of overtime I was offered to pay for all this stuff. The Duster had a 318 with a 3 speed manual with bucket seats and was a nice little car till it got rear ended one night on my way home from college. I got hit so hard, it pushed me into the car in front of me and the MOPAR folded up like an accordian, (but no polka playing that night), did I mention my parents loved polkas? Oh well, a different story for a different time. Shortly after I got the Duster back (didn't "TOTAL" too many cars back in those days), I decided to move on to the 72 Monte Carlo for a tow vehicle since it had a real frame under it. And then as I mentioned before, Dad worked a deal for the 64 Chevy Suburban to replace the Monte as the tow vehicle, but the Monte would continue to be my daily driver until 1973. Good Times for sure....

GM
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GM_427_Racer For This Useful Post:
69z2x4 (01-24-2020), markinnaples (01-23-2020), olredalert (01-23-2020), PeteLeathersac (01-23-2020), Ryan1969Chevelle (01-23-2020), Xplantdad (01-24-2020), YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (01-28-2020)