View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Now that the Bee is wrapping up, I'm turning my attention to the ole' Stang-a-tang. I've had several before this one: 66 Coupe (my first car), 67 GTA Fastback, three other 67 Fastbacks that were turned into 68 GT500 tributes, a Mach, and a Boss. Both of which I flipped and really didn't do too much to other than clean and detail. So I'm starting to dig into the details like I know on the Mopars, and it's been an interesting road so far. Lots of good info out there and just like the other makes, lots of confusion.

I for one was under the impression that the Mustangs were all Red Oxide primer underneath. Well, not so. Dearborn was one of those plants that eventually used leftover paint from the day before, all mixed together, and sprayed on the underside. Commonly called "batch paint", and not "slop gray" that is used for other parts on the car. This resulted in a wide range of dark grays, to black, to even a metallic style green/silver/brown. I sprayed my rails with Red Oxide thinking this was correct for my car, which, after some investigative investigation, found that it's not!

My car has undercoating sprayed all underneathe and everywhere I scraped it off, found a very dark, dark, blue/gray...almost black paint under it. It's very hard to see in the pics, since it looks black, but taking flakes out into the sun reveals a very dark blue/gray color. NEAT!!!!!
Attached Images