View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Starter gave up the ghost last night

I posted this on Camaros.net also, but the traffic has been light there lately. Any comments are appreciated.

So I was out for a rip last night and stopped to get gas. When I went to start my 69, it acted like the battery was dead or I had too much advance. After trying to jump start it and swapping batteries with my son, I figured it was starter heat soak. So, I had my son tow me across a parking lot with his Mustang so I could pop the clutch. It fired right up so I could take it home. Funny looking scene I'm sure. Thankfully it was dark... :wink2:
So now I'm faced with what to do for a starter. I have two mini starters. The first one is the stock one from my 454. The second one is an a/m mini starter that I got from a friend, but it's an unknown. As long as it works well, is there any reason I would want to use the a/m one over the factory? Do the teeth look right for a stock style flywheel on the one that says 9706?
Also, with these mini starters, do you think I'll need a heat shield going forward?
Thanks.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...