View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts
Default Re: More Chevelle updates

Great news! You should now pull the drums and visually check the rear shoes, since if they were anything like mine, they were never really touching the drums for the past 21 years. And if you had any kind of seal leaks they are compromised anyway.

Also check the condition of the front rotor dust shields. I had one rusty one that broke away and instead of harmlessly falling to the pavement, it rotated around and rolled itself up like aluminum foil, in between the brake pad and the rotor. That was a real fun time! It happened when I was pulling the trailer with Gramma's car in it. It activated the ABS on the other wheel since it was technically reading the mangled dust shield as a wheel slippage event. Luckily I brought an extra set of old pads with me and some tools to rip the shield remnant out of there. P.S. There is no way to replace the shield without pulling the CV axle and front hub bearing assembly since the tin shield mounting flange is sandwiched between the hub and the bearing.