View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 02:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

I run a 70 LT-1 spec engine in my Z. Standard bore. Factory LT-1 pistons, factory 2.02 heads (186) with no porting, Federal Mogul copy of the 178 camshaft, wide ratio muncie, 4:10 rear gear, frame connectors, traction bars (SSM Lift bars) and 255 60 15 BG Goodrich tires. Didn't even grind the valves or put valve guies in these old used heads, so it smokes a bit.

I can smoke the tires all the way to redline in the first three gears even with SF connectors and traction bars. What would I do with more torque? I have all the pieces here (set up Eric helped me put together) that include RacTec pistons, fully ported heads, port matched high rise, more aggressive cam, etc. I have never put it together because, even though it will probably produce about 100 more hp than what I have, I don't know that I can take advantage of the extra power without figuring out how to get bettter traction.

For a street car, it is plenty fun. If I was willing to put slicks on it and risk carnage, perhaps I could make it "drag strip" faster. I really don't care to to that. Will it keep up with modern high performance cars? Not a chance. No traction control. No way it could keep up with Sherri's CL600 (V12 twin turbo laying down 543 HP and even more torque).

Yes, you can build a first gen Camaro that will run with the CL600, but not cheaply.

My 02 cents: if it isn't going to be a race car, don't build a race car. Without huge rear meats, your not putting much of that torque down anyway. Find a good forged 350 crank, use a good set of heads (if it were me, I would go AFR) and get a good camshaft rec from Eric, small tube headers, and go have some fun.
markinnaples (04-11-2018), VintageMusclecar (04-11-2018)