View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Ryan Weaver's 1969 Olds Cutlass S W31 Club Coupe

I spent an hour or more last night wire wheeling under the car, I am trying to clean the top of the inside of the drivers side rear wheel well:-( Swear?>*&^%$#@!

I have reached a decision point, the body cart we/Dad made was to support the body as we restored the frame has worked perfectly (frame is restored) but now I am trying to use it to access the underside of the car and it is not high enough.

I have taken many trips and the end is not in sight.

A great skill I have learned in my working career is to know when something is not working and before absolute frustration sets in, to make a change and steer back on track. (I am in the ditch and need to veer left)

(step 1) I decided last night my next step needs to be washing the body (so I don't scratch it with the plastic film), and masking off the outside of the car to protect it. (especially soon when I do small rust repairs)

(step 2) I will bring the engine hoist back to the igloo and raise the body and reconfigure the cart so I can easily sit on a chair and clean/paint the underside and complete the firewall from a standing position even up on a step.

(step 3) I will enlist some help for some more intense visits with more accomplishment. I have said many times I am terrified of this project stopping. The underside as far as I can tell will be the hardest portion of the chassis restoration and has the highest risk of becoming overwhelming/another project car sitting partially done with no progress for X months......

(step 4) Adjust my schedule, I will look at all the non underside items to complete and possibly push the body off to the side till spring and complete lots of other items that are more manageable and items that I can complete at home.

(Step 5) Consider taking my frame to the igloo and bringing the front clip home to work on....

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31