View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM

Default Re: 68 Camaro multiplex

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark_C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres the whole deal:
</div></div>

These components are similar to the '68 Camaro's RPO U79 <span style="font-style: italic">Radio Stereo Multiplex - with console controls</span>, although there are some differences when compared to the '66 Caprice / Imapala version.

'68 Camaro's console control assembly does not unplug inside the console compartment, as it's wired directly to the wire harness.

The round plug on the '68 version that plugs into the bottom of the AM/FM radio has 9 pins and a center plastic alignment feature ('68 and later ), while '67 &amp; prior has 11 pins and no center alignment feature - which is another way to dermine the year of a '67 / '68 AM/FM Radio which is missing the PN tag.

Another detail to look for is the funky angled bracket ( attached by screws / not welded to Adaper Assembly ) &amp; mounting wedge ( PN 3943635 ) that mounts the multiplex unit up under the dash, to the left of the steering column.

To the best of my knowledge, the '68 multiplex with console controls could only be ordered in combination with RPO U17 Console Gauges / Console Instument Cluster.

I'm not certain that this was also true for RPO U57 console mounted Stereo Tape Player, as I don't very often see this option.
Here's a few pics of '68 AM/FM multiplex components with the console control assembly :

'68 control head

'68 multiplex unit

'68 multiplex with console controls