Thread: Snake Bite!
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

The brakes worked really well when we raced ours, back in the day. Sebring was our home track and it was quite fun going from 145 mph on the short straight into the 20 mph hair pin turn (which has since been removed and made into a much more gentler transition without a runoff escape route that pointed you directly into a large billboard or a chain link fence. :-)

From my racing experience with the Gen 1 suspension in my 93 I found that it was well balanced in the braking department. I think the best 60 to 0 braking distance we measured was 105 feet, running on the first design BFG R-1 racing tires. No fading, though it would boil the brake fluid frequently on long runs and I had to go with a really expensive high temp fluid and added Porsche brake duct flaps attached to the lower control arms to direct the air toward the calipers.

You may find that if you enlarge the rear brakes you may also have to go to bigger front brakes as well as the braking balance may be upset.

Here's a shot of the Porsche brake flaps hose clamped to the lower control arms. (please ignore the rusty rotors from sitting). We also had to wrap the ball joints and tie rod ends in heat barrier material as the brake rotor heat would boil the grease right out of the ball joints...right toward the brake rotors. Now THAT made for an exciting time. You can also see on the bottom of the caliper where I added some orange RTV in a glob as a cushion to prevent that transfer tube from getting dented during wheel changes. The car also had a set of custom coil-over shocks that Koni made for us with adjustable spring seats for altering the ride height.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 08-28-2017 at 10:56 PM.