View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
Perhaps someone wanted an L79 wagon, was told he couldn't order one, so ordered an L30 327/275 4-speed wagon, along with getting the dealer to order a complete crate Nova L79, and then had it installed by the dealer?? If a service unit were ordered at that point then it probably would have been a 66 engine assembly.

Hard to imagine someone would transplant the engine from a 66 car years later WITH all the smog stuff still intact, along with the big radiator too. And the coincidence that the recipient wagon just happened to already be a factory 4-speed (probably ultra rare in and of itself)??

Seems like there has to be more to the story than just a typical 1970's engine transplant.

On the other hand, having the air conditioning code seems odd -- unless all complete warranty Nova L79 engine assemblies were built as that version, so that they could be used as warranty replacement units on both cars with or without A/C. That was common in service replacement parts to just offer the version of a part that would fit with all other equipment combos.

Either way, very very cool wagon!! I'd gently clean, get it reliable and roadworthy, and drive the snot out of it!!!
I'm not an old guy,but whenever I here that manual transmissions in old cars were "rare" I chuckle. They were standard equipment. Automatic were more rare IMO.