View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 03:32 PM

Default Re: The Dan Gurney 1961 Impala 409 race car.

Some details and history:

Hullo Verne
Thanks for the fantastic conversation, I forgot, when we were talking this morning about the sintered brakes, to tell you about the ventilated backing plates, front and rear.
The bracket for the front vent hose is still attached to the front swaybar mount on the wishbones. Pics attached here will show all this. The rear swaybar mount is 'agricultural', showing it is not factory.
Also here are some pics of under the dash where I said the firewall had been repaired when the car was converted.

I have good provenance authenticating the car by outlining its history since that historic race in Silverstone, England. This comes in the form of 2 letters—the first has been written by Laurie O’Neil, the Aussie race car driver who bought the car from Dan Gurney there in England, just after it raced, and had it shipped to Australia;
the second letter has been written by Dan Gurney himself, fully supporting all the information contained in Laurie O’Neil’s detailed letter.
Also, as I mentioned in my last email to you, I have, from the UK, official lap times, grid placements etc.

Right now I have a very good friend who is helping me add to the provenance I hold by verifying, through Aussie administrative channels, the Police Number the car was given at the time it was imported into Australia.

• VIN 11837L157805 is stamped on the chassis/door pillar.
• On the engine block is/was stamped 11837L15805 and an assigned Australian Police number: N620117P (N=NSW, 62=1962, 0117=117th, P=police)
• On the rear of the block is stamped K1660 GM 2, the casting # is illegible
• Yes, has all the glass
• Front and rear sway bars added by DG for racing
• The DG Sun electric tacho
List of known owners and dates:
• Dan Gurney
• Laurie O’Neil, May 1961- …….
• Laurie sold to ……..
• Ron Hodgson
• Greg Cusack
• ?
• Alan …..