View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 11:59 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I'm not entirely sure...but have read that these were the predecessor to the Mallory dual point and that the Rev Pol switch reverses the polarity to give you a higher intensity spark. I know that it uses a special coil which is like 2 coils in one and functions as noted below. Jim Linder from Bubba's Ignition is going to rebuild this one for me and says they are really cool setups! He rebuilds & restores them down to stock, or can also convert them using one of two available Pertronix kits for Mallory's. I might try it stock and if I don't like it I can always convert it later.

Found this in an old Yenko thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67BobcatGTO View Post
Ok well I finally had some time to dig through my literature and found sales lit on the "NEW" Rev-Pol models.

It states this:

The Rev-Pol ignition system changes the direct current to alternating current, which produces a complete reversal of the polarity of the core of the transformer, which in turn produces a long magnetic wave inducing a spark of long duration and of high value every time the contact point open and close. The contact life is twice as long, the rubbing block life is twice as long as in the conventional system. The system will operate any motor to speeds far above the conventional system on less current.

It also states the Rev-Pol distributor uses a 4-lobe cam with two circuit breakers for the 8 Cylinder and a 3-lobe cam for the 6 cylinder distributor, giving unlimited RPM with no breaker bounce.

-Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67BobcatGTO View Post
Another doc talks about the new 10,000 RPM high performance ignition system. It reads: the NEW street-strip performance switch lets you control current from the dash.

Complete Rev-Pol igntition system produces more voltage faster than any existing conventional battery ignition. Extra hot long duration spark gives top performance at every speed with higher RPM's.

The Rev-Pol distributor is hi-performance advance curved for maximum ignition output throughout the RPM range. Special dual points eliminate float and bounce.

The Rev-Pol Transformer changes direct current to alternating current and reverses polarity of transformer core to produce a long duration and high value "magneto action" spark.

The NEW Street/Strip switch lets you increase the primary current from the dash whenever extra-hi-performance is needed.

-Mike

Last edited by NorCam; 09-05-2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Found another thread on this topic
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
big gear head (09-05-2017)