View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 02:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,800 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG View Post
I purchased this Corvette from a friend that's on this site. Tim did a great job of representing the car and I was very happy when it arrived. One thing he made clear was that sometime in its life the entire undercarriage was painted orange and to correct this, someone painted black over the orange. This sounded like a nightmare, but I liked the car so much, I moved forward.

Here are some before and after of the chassis after 80 hours and lots of paint stripper, lacquer thinner, steel wool and mineral spirits. Everything took four coats of stripper to get the black and orange off. I was able to preserve much of the originality of the chassis.

Ice blasting would have been easier, but I figured it would have cost about $4,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Bill View Post
Tim,

I remember the story of the 12 mile 1967 L-88 that had the whole underneath painted white when David Burroughs got it out of Lincoln Auto Parts. Painting the underside of a Corvette must have been the thing to do back then.

Bill
----Bill,,, Dave B didn't liberate the 12 mile Corvette from L.A.P.. I won't mention the name but a guy from Minnesota did. It then went to an old friend of mine in Wisconsin, Bob Adams. Went thru (I think) 2 more people. Classic motors was squeezed in there as well. Dave B and his partner, Jim K ended up with it around this time. I'm pretty sure the NOS L88 engine came from Terry M. My partner in Red Alert, Terry Carney (RIP), went to Washington state and got the title to it for Jerome S, a very good customer of ours at Classic Motors and a great guy. Somewhere early in this story the car had a bunch of parts replaced with incorrect stuff. Nothing big or too important, but it was a really shady thing to do. Stuff like the original shifter, throttle pedal, clutch and brake pedal covers, and so on. I saw all the incorrect stuff the day we went to Jeromes to look at the car. Just wanted to sort of set the record straight. Dave B did do his usual masterul job of bringing the car back to life, while leaving as much originality as possible. You may remember that the drivers door was not adjusted well at the factory and Dave left that alone as an example. I think the door remains that way to this day...Bill S

Last edited by olredalert; 03-23-2024 at 02:03 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
dykstra (03-22-2024), L_e_e (03-22-2024), RPOLS3 (03-22-2024)