View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 01:38 AM

Question Advice needed on rare 4K car

About two years ago I went to a local cruise in and found a pretty good looking 4K car. It was painted red with red interior but the trim tag showed it being originally a black car with red interior. Long story short I ended up purchasing it. I checked with Phil (rare4K) that keeps a registry on the 67 L78 camaros and he said the only other black on red 4k car they knew of was a convertible...mine is the only hardtop known.

When I purchased it I had no idea how difficult it would be to get the paint and body work done on the car. We are needing to change it back to black and the car also needs a decent amount of sheetmetal work done on it too, including a new floor pan and most likely trunk pan.

I've already been through one place/guy that I had to wait for and then he completely went radio silent when it was time for us to deliver the car. Now, another place is beginning to look like they are going to fall through as well after I've waited 8-10 months in line. They have a pretty steady influx of ferraris and I feel as if I'm "a bother" to them in that my car would get in between their "regulars".

I am learning many valuable lessons with this car that I am thankful for. I doubt I will buy another car for a very long time that is need of being restored. It is expensive, yes, but more importantly to me at this stage in my life with multiple businesses and two young daughters, it is very time consuming and is draining some of the fun out of this hobby I enjoy.

I don't feel as if I am prideful in expecting a good place to actually want to do this work. They will get paid well for it in exchange for their hard work and expertise. I always appreciate when things are a win-win for both sides. However, I will not beg a place to do this car. I think that's completely ridiculous. In fact, I'll set it ablaze before I feel like that's the only way to get this thing done.

I know some of you on here have a good shop or relationship with a paint/body place that is highly reputable and does good work. If you can put me in contact with such a place it would be much appreciated. Or, if you have any other thoughts or advice on this then that is highly appreciated as well. In the context of life and big deals, this is not one of them...I get that. However, I respect many on here's opinions and look forward to hearing any and all thoughts.

Many thanks,
Kasey
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...