View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Buford the Buick

Yeah.....that is some very nice work there. I really like the gusset work on the lower control arm frame brackets. Those two very important points, often overlooked, are actually the two points where the rear axle pushes against and propels the car forward. Yeah, like I said.......pretty important! Those 1978-1988 "G"-bodies really do make good race cars. They were stamped out of such thin sheetmetal (even aluminum in places) for light weight and gas mileage, raked back windshields, rear bumpers sealed to the body to eliminate the "parachute" effect, etc. Like you mentioned Wayne, they may be full-framed, but it really is flimsy "C" channel construction! My '79 Malibu had a 540 CID with 14:1 compression, Moser 9-inch, dog-dish hubcaps, etc. It was a Suzuki Hayabusa killer that got me kicked out from the drag strip for lack of safety equipment that would have killed its' sleeper look. But anyway, it was showing a LOT of stress cracks around the body by the time I was done messing around with it.