View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Re: 1969 Charger RT Resto

The 593 is the axle code for a 3.23, non-suregrip rear which is what your car is equipped with. The other yellow numbers that may not be visible are the month/day stamp of the housing assembly, along with an inspector's letter or number. Look in the underside of the large center rib, drivers side, for the date of the 3rd member assembly. Should be 2 to 4 digits for day and month. Also, you'll find on the underside of the pumpkin paint stripes which indicate the gears installed. I think the 3.23 open would be three black stripes. If it was a suregrip, I think it was 1 orange and 3 white. I'm not 100% on those markings though....just going off memory. The back of the carrier housing will have a large "B" for B-Body, which Chrysler started using to mark axle assemblies in 1969 versus the assembly year. Like In 1968, they were marked with a "D". There may also be a white circle with an X through it. Lots of opinions on what that means: inspected and OK....serviced.....sure grip. If it was a Suregrip rear, the filler plug would have an orange paint blip on it.

Hope that helps!

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]