View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 02:06 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I too was diagnosed with prostate cancer this summer. It was caught early and not considered the agressive type. I was told I had 3 choices, surgery to remove prostate, direct beam radiation, or Brachytherapy(radioactive seed implants). At age 56 it was still recommended I have my prostate removed using "DaVinci" robotic surgery. I did my research and talked to a lot of other men who had the surgery, others who had direct beam radiation and also others who used the Brachytherapy. There is a wonderful facility within a mile of my house called the Chicago Prostate Center which specializes in the Brachytherapy procedure and is the only facility in the country that is solely dedicated to prostate cancer. I opted for this type of treatment and had my radioactive seed implant procedure on August 24th. On December 20th, 2017 I had my first PSA test and my numbers had dropped significantly from 8 down to 1.5.
Like Lynn said, if you're over 50 get yourself checked out every year. A simple blood test can save your life.