View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts
Default Re: R&S Chevrolet on MSO. Any info on them available?

R&S was the 4 the oldest/family owned Chevrolet dealership in the nation up until recently.
I'm told they started as R&S Motors in the 1920's.Then in August 1961,they dropped the "Motors" & became R&S Chevrolet,untill just recently when the founding families last active member,son Rob,sold it to new owners & it's now CrossRoads Chevrolet-Cadillac today.
They used a potmetal cursive script on their trunk emblems in the 1950's,then switched to the one I have above,then to a mylar decal soon after,sometime in the late 1970's & beyond.
Henry Robertson told me he was very stingy in ordering Dealership advertising trinkets back in those days.No yardsticks,license plate frames,key chains etc.Just the basics needed to sell a vehicle.He did send me an R&S Chevrolet matchbook form the 1960's,that I display on the dash of my car.
I asked for any past vehicle records on my car,or others,but Rob told me that was all tossed decades ago.They are/were a very small dealership,and space was limited.
Mike North was their Hi-po salesman,and last known in Baxter Springs,Ks.
I have come across a few 1970 Chevelles today that were sold new from R&S.Mine,one LS6 still in Missouri,and one L34 locally.The L34 owner lives near me and attends shows around here.
I contacted the Joplin,Mo. library 10 years ago and they sent me roughly 20 Xerox copies of vintage newspaper ads,advertising R&S Chevrolet from 1967-1973.Many pages of brand new arrivals & OK used cars on their lot.One showing a used 1969 L89 Camaro for 3K.
I only know of 2 Dueces being sold there,1 Cranberry Red,1 Forest green.Marlin may know of another.