View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
----So you used to run "up the hill" at Quaker City. Love that track but haven't been there in years. Went several years in a row to the "Field of Dreams" nostalgia meet with Red Alert. Always a really great time......Bill S
I have spent a lot of time at Quaker City, running "up the hill" as you put it, LOL. In fact if you look at that last picture I posted (May 72), that Monte Carlo probably just came out of the water in the left lane, ready to finish running "up the hill" to the starting line. My Dad took me there back in the late 50's to watch some of his friends race (that track opened in 1957). For those that have never been there, the staging lanes are parallel to the track at a much lower elevation, so you make a left out of the lanes, and then make another left, go up the hill to the water box, do your burnout and as you come out of the water you are still cresting the hill, and then at that point you can see the track and the starting line. Since I started racing there probably around 1970, the hill never bothered me, but when NHRA started running points meets there sometime in the 80's, there were a lot of racers that were intimidated by the "hill". It is still a beautiful track today, the current owners the Fox family do a great job and have made tons of improvements over the years, in fact if you google "Quaker City Motorsports Park", they have a nice overhead video of the track, the staging lanes and pit parking.

Gary Merrick
The Following User Says Thank You to GM_427_Racer For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (02-22-2018)