View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,611 Times in 495 Posts
Post Gears/Convertor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkl84corvett View Post
yes it is the LS6 Cam..

its an Elgin copy - E905P (if i remember correctly - but the specs are spot on)
i have it degreed in 2advance

i have the old log type manifolds on the car which I'm sure is killing it above 4500 rpm - really don't wanna go with headers, but i'd consider going with the long branch corvette style that I believe will fit.

i have a set of 3.73s for the car - will install them this summer.

converter now is a B&M holeshot 2400 - but it could probably be much happier with a 3000 converter for quick starts - i just don't like that slippery converter feel for a nearly daily driven vehicle.
You need to consider that the street mechanical cam that Chevy used in the L78/LS6/L72 was designed to be used on engine with cast iron exhaust manifolds. Of course, headers really help...but I'm not sure I agree with the power being killed above 4500 rpm's. There are lots of folks running that cam in various stock class cars that haul the mail quite nicely.

As for your concern about a 'slippery convertor'...you get what you pay for. The B & M stuff is entry level at best [imho]...as I mentioned, call ATI, give them your information and they will get you the right convertor. We have a 3,000 rpm 'Streetmaster' behind a fairly well built big block in a 68 Nova and it performs excellent. Around town or cruising it behaves very well...give it the gas and it does the job!

www.atiracing.com

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro