Thread: Super Bowl LVII
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2023, 05:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
Bad call?...here's the word from the man himself.
“It was holding,I tugged his jersey.I was hoping they would let it slide."~James Bradberry
Technically, it was a hold. No question about it. Here is my perspective. I am one of those guys who rarely watches a lot of NFL football. I just don’t care that much. I did watch much of this one, but wasn’t glued to the tv the entire game. The only Superbowl I watched a complete game was the one where the Patriots were unbeaten during the regular season; so I watched just to see they made history. They didn’t.

One of the things that has really turned me off with the NFL is that they do not call pass interference as it should be called. Sadly, this is spilling over into the college game.
It used to be that if a defensive player hit, pulled an arm or a hand of the receiver BEFORE the ball got there, they called interference. Now, they just call it “incidental contact”. I get that the defender has a right to go for the ball. Most times they aren’t even looking at the ball. I have seen plays where a defender has one of the receiver’s hands clearly in his grasp, and there is no call. The commentators always say the refs are “just letting them play.” Sorry, but that isn’t the rule. It shouldn’t be so subjective. I realize that QBs and receivers have gotten so good, that it is almost impossible to defend without interference. Maybe so. If you don’t like that, then change the rules.

Back to the call; Bradbury’s hold was almost nothing compared to many of the pass interference “no calls” I see (some in this game). Making the rules subjective really hurts the integrity of the game.
L72copocamaro (02-14-2023)