View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Edelbrock SY1 intake SBC

NO the intakes are not rare, they are uncommon because they are more for the circle track guys than the 1/4 milers. They where designed to use in Trans Am, they have lots of mid and upper RPM. Ive had a dozen, from 75 bucks up to a few hundred. Finding one un-modified is pretty tuff. Almost every single one Ive ever had came from some kind of circle track racer, a couple from midgets, i dont know the classes, but thats where i always find them, I recently bought one right off craigs list for 100 bucks, the guy raced circle in the 70s...theres always a few on ebay, and they always sell if they are reasobably priced, I always wanted to do a Trans Am racer type camaro and use one, but never get that far, i always get the greed and sell them....

They had some design flaws, they like to puddle fuel, the plenum is so big the fuel would come out of atomization. There are some tech articles, they take the lid off and weld up some walls to help control air flow and puddling. My uncle ran them alot, and i think thats why i am fascinated by them...memories.... AS a matter of fact, I had a speed shop owner tell me they where going to cast them again if they had enough orders..that was in the 80s the world has changed so i dont know if they really ever did, but the thats what he said, and he was a big time circle track guy, they actually built cars and motors...

So the word rare isnt really appropriate, uncommon is more realistic, they work if you6 in the 6000 rmp range, and they are very cool....