Thread: Vintage Wheels
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Vintage Wheels

TJ,
I have never seen any of the 3 ads you posted from the May '65 Hot Rod. I "must" have that magazine in my files. Going to search for it soon.
Yes, the Rader does look just like the M/Ts I have. Little is known. I suspect Mickey Thompson made an agreement with Rader for some rights to produce his own. The mold(s) was modified to include the "M/T 1965" inside the rear of one spoke and they suddenly became M/T mags. At least he did produce a plethora of his own center caps and spinners. In my opinion, his are much more pleasing than the Rader centers. I have quite a collection of the variety he offered, but the ones on the black '62 I call "curvies". I think they must have been mostly a Calif. thing (that more custom look) Honestly, I searched for 10 years to find those spinners, handing out "wanted" photos at every swap meet I went to. As it turned out, a very good friend of mine found a complete set at the Maple Grove Dragway swap meet for $20. a number of years ago and gave them to me.
Priceless! (I mean the friendship)

TJ, my hat's off to you. You are carrying the banner on this thread. Great stuff!!!