View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1972 455 HO/4spd Lemans Sport Convertible For Sale

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does it have a GTO sticker on the side if its a Lemans. Back in the day when I was a kid I street raced a 71 GTO HO 455 that had just had extensive work done at the local speed shop with my 66 Vette 427-425. I snuffed it. </div></div>

I'm sure you did - you kind of had him killed in the power/weight ratio! I'd be disappointed if you didn't.

The GTO stickers are no longer on it - they came off within the first week of my getting it but it's a real good question. Somewhere in it's ownership somebody decided it was the elusive 1 of 1 GTO convertible that so many publications have claimed were built in 1972. Other than the Pontiac nameplates on the front grill, dash, and deck lid, there are no emblems or nameplates of any kind in or on the car. In an old picture I have of the car taken prior to it's paint job you can see the decals were there.

Paul Zazarine wrote a column in Musclecar Review about the car back in 1999 when it was in Hemmings listed as a GTO convertible as he had been chasing the rumor for years as well. Turns out the car does not have the W62 GTO option and no evidence has ever surfaced that in fact 1 was ever built - we've all been chasing a ghost.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978